The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1930 A7 Saloon with a mini engine £18,000
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1215273
That looks like an Austin A30 motor to me; Another motor with a well deserved reputation for breaking cranks and running big ends.
A series BMC not from a Mini as Mini is transverse FWD
More likely A30 A35 A40 Sprite Midget or Morris Minor.
Not an uncommon conversion in the 1960's there used to be a very fast Nippy with a BMC engine in it.

Car is a bit pricey by UK standards though
My friend had a 32 Chummy with that type of engine fitted - was very exciting, especially when it came to stopping!

Now fitted with the correct engine, it is much nicer to drive.
"1275 motor, mate, shaved head, twin SUs, faster than a 3 litre Capri on the Braintree by-pass." Seriously, how does one choose and engage some gears?
Pre SU carb and early by pass oil filter. Much later rocker cover. Probably A30 800cc
(14-10-2020, 06:41 PM)Paul N-M Wrote: Pre SU carb and early by pass oil filter. Much later rocker cover. Probably A30 800cc

Yes, only the A30 and split screen Minor had the 803 motor with the clearly visible bypass oil filter. These had a three bearing bent wire crank and a minuscule cam driven oil pump; hence the reliability issues which were well documented at the time.
(14-10-2020, 06:37 PM)Steve kay Wrote: "1275 motor, mate, shaved head, twin SUs, faster than a 3 litre Capri on the Braintree by-pass." Seriously, how does one choose and engage some gears?

That was my first thought too, but I suspect there is a remote change just not visible in the photo.
(14-10-2020, 08:06 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(14-10-2020, 06:37 PM)Steve kay Wrote: "1275 motor, mate, shaved head, twin SUs, faster than a 3 litre Capri on the Braintree by-pass." Seriously, how does one choose and engage some gears?

That was my first thought too, but I suspect there is a remote change just not visible in the photo.

It'll one of those "dislocate your shoulder" changes that some 60's coaches were saddled with.

The rude comment would be that replacing the engine with a newer one that has a reputation for running bearings and breaking cranks shows some devotion to originality. 

Charles
Anything from the A30/Morris minor to the A40 Farina/MM1000 ?.  Over here the A30/MM motor wore out rather quickly but exhaust valve burning  was the big issue, I suppose because of longer sustained speed trips, I have not seen one with a broken crank.  But everything wore out quicker in those days, our big Sixes were worn out at about 100,000 miles, the A and B series motors about 60,000 Miles.  I put new shells in my A60 Farina at 67,0000 miles and new rings and shells in my lady's a A40 Farina about the same mileage, it was starting to make it's own smoke screen.