The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Speedo drive
Yes.
I've repaired/made a few of these in the past.I think without looking out some  old parts were stamped 55mm on the split propshaft pulley and 60mm on the speedodrive shaft. of course will only read right with the correct ratio speedometer.
Parazine - Yes, I agree that my incorrect speedo is 2400 tpm. Thanks for the very helpful info/pics

I think my best bet is to simply leave the speedo disconnected (Really Officer? That fast?) and keep an eye out for the correct 'A' type speedo. If any kind soul has one to part with I would be very pleased to hear from them.

I shall have the spindle unit rebushed as it can't be good to be running so loose. (Robert, are you very busy at the mo???)
If the car was first used before 1938 it doesn't need a speedometer anyway. Just leave it disconnected. It's not as if you're likely to be racking up many Gatso points is it...
Hi All

I think that if a retrospective device such as lights, wipers or speedo are fitted to a car that did not originally have them fitted then they must work. Please correct me if wrong.

Cheers

Howard
Speedometers

35.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—

(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;

(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;

©an agricultural motor vehicle which is not driven at more than 20 mph;

(d)a motor cycle first used before 1st April 1984 the engine of which has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 100 cc;

(e)an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984;

(f)a works truck first used before 1st April 1984;

(g)a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937; or

(h)a vehicle equipped with recording equipment marked with a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 3 in Schedule 4 to those Regulations (whether or not the vehicle is required to be equipped with that equipment) and which, as regards the visual indications given by that equipment of the speed of the vehicle, complies with the requirements relating to the said indications and installations

Lights and indicators are covered by different regulations and the rule is with them " if they are fitted then they should work"

The speedometer legislation specifically  does not apply to an exempted vehicle so it doesnt apply even if fitted, working or not.

As such a speedo fitted to an exempt vehicle is not a testable item for MOT purposes. Neither are wipers/ washers if the driver can have a view to the front without looking through the windscreen.
Thanks

Legal Eagle  Smile Smile Smile.

Cheers

Howard
How many Rubies and earlier saloons are actually fitted with washers?
JonE Wrote:could someone please confirm if this is the speedo cable end for a prop drive?

That's the end that fits into the pulley, driven by the prop shaft on a mid 1927 or earlier car. The speedo end of the cable is a square drive.
Could someone please tell me if the ends of the drive spring for a propshaft driven speedo screw together - so it can be fitted without disconnecting the propshaft?
Ones available from seven workshop did.