The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regulations regarding specials
(11-10-2020, 07:03 PM)Robert Leigh Wrote: It is some years since I recorded my Ulsteroid with the DVLA. It has a shortened Ruby chassis, but the Ruby never lost its V5. When the time came I simply reported that the car now has a Tourer body, and this is what they recorded on the new V5. I suggest a phone call to DVLA asking whether a similar approach would be acceptable before formalising the situation. My general advice is to tell them no more than they want to know, but just enough to achieve your objective.

IIRC, the DVLA 8 point system came in in 1998, and after that time, it shouldn't have been possible to just change a body type except in the way I outlined earlier. The reason being that sawing the roof off your monocoque modern to make a tourer/cabriolet would have meant that the car was "radically altered". Not the case of course with a car like an A7 with a separate chassis where the body carries no points; but the "kit conversion" process should still have been used to change the V5C entry.

None of that means that cars did not get the body type changed without all that rigmarole, because the first point of contact would have been the (now shut down) local taxation office, who may well have just nodded through all sorts of changes. A professional kitcar constructor I knew used to take all his finished cars right down to a tax office somewhere in the Bournemouth area to get them registered. None of his cars (which were built from a pile of secondhand mechanical parts) ever received a Q plate.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Regulations regarding specials - by GK5268 - 10-10-2020, 11:35 AM
RE: Regulations regarding specials - by Rick F - 10-10-2020, 11:44 AM
RE: Regulations regarding specials - by Stuart Giles - 11-10-2020, 08:59 PM
RE: Regulations regarding specials - by Dirk73 - 12-10-2020, 09:20 PM