The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triumph Super Seven
See Car & Classic.
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1273845 offering this 1930 Triumph Super Seven. It is not generally known but Stanley Edge, sometime after leaving Longbridge, worked on and designed the engine of this car together with other parts. From the photo, the engine shows distinct similarities with that of the Austin Seven and of course was intended to be a competitor. The Assn Archives holds some original Triumph drawings from Stan's collection.
Thanks Chris, I just learned something. I like it.
It is often said you learn something new every day. I had no idea Stanley Edge was the engine designer. Thank you for posting what looks like a little belter!

Ray.
I have seen a couple of photos of Donald Healey competing in a Super Seven Sports which bear some similarities to an Ulster. It looks like Edge did away with the dizzy being driven off the dynamo and drove the latter off a chain or belt.

Erich
They even produced a supercharged version. They also produced a version not seen on the Austin Seven chassis, a fabric-bodied tourer:

Does anyone have photos of the supercharged version, maybe an engine shot too?
XV3 was a 1928 supercharged Super Sports, YX3981 a 1930 n/a Super Sports. I don't think I've ever seen an engine photo of the supercharger installation.

.jpg   B5028crop2.jpg (Size: 52.36 KB / Downloads: 215)

This is an LAT/Austin Harris photo
Thanks Mike, quite a stylish motor.
Dad has had his '30 Triumph Super 7 since April '62, it's a keeper !!

When he restored it in the late '60's the 2nd gear was badly worn. by chance he found an advert in a club magazine from a scrapyard in the UK advertising Triumph spares. A letter to them re Super 7 spares yielded up a box which was mucky outside but when he stripped turned out to be brand new still in the original packing grease on the inside. He wrote to the scrapyard who it turned out had bought up lots of old Triumph spares when the Factory got rid of them. Fortuitously it must either be a Super 8 or Super 9 box or perhaps one of the supercharged cars racing boxes as it's a close ratio box and as sweet as chocolate to drive. Dad also has a high ratio diff in it plus a Ricardo head and the combination make it a really great little car.

The magneto & the generator are mounted on either side of the crank case & driven by a chain in the front timing case. It's a 3 main bearing cast iron block with an aluminium timing case. A few years ago we converted a spare inlet manifold from the updraft Zenith to a side mounted SU & that has really worked well for us.

This one is an RK Tourer. We have the wire wheels, but it's been on the pressed steel Sankey Sheldon wheels all my life. As standard it has 4 wheel hydraulic brakes with a Lockheed master cylinder & wheel cylinders. 850cc side valve, 3 speed with a bronze worm drive diff

We had it at the Triumph Nationals in 2004, here it's flanked L-R by a '28 Tourer & a '31 Special

Ciao
Greig

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   '30 Triumph Super 7 - Port Edward.jpg (Size: 104.45 KB / Downloads: 192)
.jpg   '30 Triumph Super 7.jpg (Size: 111.01 KB / Downloads: 192)
2 x Triumph Super Sevens were entered in the 1929 and 1930 Ards TT. 747cc. Supercharged

1929, Car no 6 driver, R.W.G.Grindley.  Car no 7 driver V.E.Horstman

1930, Car no 26 driver, F.S.Barnes.  Car no 27 driver, V.E.Horstman

photos from Austin Harris,  https://austinharris.co.uk

.jpg   B4742crop1.jpg (Size: 86.22 KB / Downloads: 178)

.jpg   B4753crop1.jpg (Size: 97.93 KB / Downloads: 177)