The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick panic!
If the wires on the dynamo are reversed what will that do?.....damage?.....show up as?
6v negative earth RK
Hi David

I did this on the Brookfields which has the same dynamo as the coil RK. I ran the engine for a few minutes before realising.  Doesn’t appear to have done any damage either to the dynamo or to the diode cut out.  Others may comment on the effect on an electro-mechanical cut out.

Cheers

Howard
Did you have an ammeter reading?full scale NEG ?or just picking up power usage when lights are on.
D
Hi David 

Just registering the current drain from the coil.  I stupidly used a red wire for the main output and black for the summer resistor which was the opposite from my RK.  Then wired the switch panel as the RK.  Once I couldn’t see any charge I investigated and found the mistake.  

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Howard
Not a lot!!
But thanks anyway. ..I may look at a diode kit if the cut out is kaput. Any recommendations?
D
Except on summer charge the terminal are joined anyway. Some ignore the Summer option and run their cars with the terminals directly linked at the Dynmo.
If tinkering with the cutout it must not be left operated as happens if you close it by prodding.
As another post the dynamo should not be driven with no external connection to the battery (normally thru cutout)
Hi David

The diode I use is from the Magneto Guys. 

https://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/smart-diode-cut-out

Cheers

Howard
Thanks to you both
D