The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crank gear supplier?
Both gears usually have markings on them although I have come across unmarked crank and cam gears, there seems to be a plethora of presumably after market gears here in NZ without markings or Austin part numbers. I have a huge collection of gears some matched pairs and some loose, I always try a number of combinations in a crankcase to get the best fit as others have already described. One word of warning when doing this, carefully examine your used gears, they will usually have un worn high spots near the tooth edge, these must be removed or they will point load causing two issues. It will give you a false idea of mesh which will be quickly be lost in use when the high spots wear down. Or worse some of the teeth will break potentially causing all sorts of damage.
Black Art Enthusiast
Not sure if you got my pm, Mark.  I should be able to help you, I will check my spares tomorrow.  I am based near Thirsk so am not so far away.
(07-10-2020, 09:02 AM)mk1-mark Wrote: Can anyone suggest somewhere I can get a replacement crank sprocket.  Unfortunately as we were stripping a spare engine last night it lost a tooth during some over enthusiastic prying.

I made a proper puller after it bust.

[Image: 58d17676-26ae-4f4f-9cbc-b98f3cb35d87.png?w=640]

Before we shut the door, can we change the header to the correct 'Crank gear supplier'  so future searches can find the discussion !
Try Tony Betts 7 county austins
Some years ago I encountered an owner who reported that the hub of the cam gear failed. He blamed it on tight mesh. Under the emormous running loads the crank jumps about considerably so a definite clearance is desirable.
The advice about removing wear steps whilst requiring patience and care applies in many applications. and particularly cw and p.
it is tedious to sort gears. I acquired a pile. it is customaory to measure gears over balls sitting about on the pitch line. i turned a hollow in a piece of wood, laid gear in with suitable balls, and measuerd over all with vernier callipers.
Hi Folks,  Thanks again for all the help.

This is the gear I am looking for, its the small cam gear that goes on the end of the crank.  It's a +1

[Image: cog.jpg]

Thanks again,

Mark
(08-10-2020, 04:42 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Some years ago I encountered an owner who reported that the hub of the cam gear failed. 

Not uncommon on magneto engines used hard.

.png   gear 2.png (Size: 236.24 KB / Downloads: 202)

The web is noticeably thinner than on coil engines

c
(08-10-2020, 11:04 AM)mk1-mark Wrote: Hi Folks,  Thanks again for all the help.

This is the gear I am looking for, its the small cam gear that goes on the end of the crank.  It's a +1

[Image: cog.jpg]

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark,

these are readily available from second hand parts suppliers like Tony Betts - ideally you want to get hold of a selection and select the one that suits your camshaft gear the best.
Mark, I have eleven crankshaft gears in my spares cupboard including a +1.  You are welcome to it with my compliments.  I would suggest that you try a selection of sizes to get the best mesh.
Mark,

Take up Malcolm’s generous offer, what a guy!