The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carden joint - prop shaft lubrication
I have a 1931 RN saloon and the various lubrication charts show a removable plate on the rear transmission tunnel to access a lub point on the rear uj/carden.
My car does not have this opening, am I missing a lub point or was it not fitted to my model,
I've laid under the car and felt all around the prop shaft joint but cant find anything.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Sounds like your prop shaft tunnel has been replaced during a previous restoration/repair? All cars should have a removeable plate on the tunnel between the seats to access 2 lube points:

1) On the top of the torque tube hanger bracket, lubricates the spherical bearing, bottom ball joint and the front bearing in the axle

2) On the carden (pot) joint housing. Should be filled with CV joint grease or Moly grease.

Both of these points are sometimes covered with blanking plugs in my experience, so may not be immediately obvious. Number 1 above will be very hard to see without the access opening and impossible to lubricate!
            Here are photos of the access hole, the original RN carden shaft and a Hardy Spicer propshaft which may have been fitted in place of the original shaft. The grease nipples are visible on the shafts and there is another on the torque mount visible through the access hole. The order of the photos is beyond my control.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do you have a body number stamped on the tunnel which would be just behind the gearbox (Under your wooden Box) If you don't, then the tunnel is a replacement.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to get underneath with a light and a mirror and have another poke about.
It would probably explain the slight knock on the overrun, probably dry as a bone!

Thanks for the info, I'll have to get underneath with a light and a mirror and have another poke about.

It would probably explain the slight knock on the overrun, probably dry as a bone!

Can't find anything so it looks like it's been replaced at some time
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !