The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
King pin eye faces on stub and beam axles.
Whats a file Hedd?
Black Art Enthusiast
(28-11-2017, 03:39 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I'm bracing myself for howls of protest from those as know better, but I cleaned mine up quite nicely with a household tap seat cutter from Wickes. It even miraculously came with the right screw thread to bolt directly on the end of an old kingpin, which thus formed the pilot and kept it square.  Perfect, no; but a heck of a lot better than it was before and for barely a fiver.

The question of washers occasionally vexes me too, I too have heard they should be hardened but suspect many aren't. This is a part of the car which ought to be regularly inspected anyhow, and vertical slop is a definite no-no. I wouldn't advocate any soft material.
The tap seat cutter is an excellent idea, but do remember that it is only made for cutting brass; don't expect it to last forever on steel!
Robert Leigh
[attachment=2080 Wrote:Hedd Jones pid='6434' dateline='1517296054']Is no one capable of using a file anymore?

Only faces accessible for filing are the top of the axle king pin eyes.......would you be confident enough to guarantee a FLAT surface AT 90 DEGS to the king pin?
Underneath of eyes are in a recess.
Have a look at stub axles and you will see that neither face that goes next to the axle eyes is accessible for filing......hence pilot and cutter or cylinder for grinding.

recessed axle eye under axle.

Pilot and cylinder in position for grinding stub axle eye faces

Radius arm forked end above and below axle beam

Nicely ground flat (shown by bluing all over) and at 90 deg to king pin

Dennis

Chris KC
Ref tap seat cutter from WICKS....what was the diameter??

See previous posts for diameter required for BIG 7 and ordinary 7 (based on thrust washer diameter)

Dennis
Still no one has given the size or where found of the "tap seat cutter " they have found suitable for A7 and Big 7 king pin eye resurfacing.
Here is my previous observation:-
TAP SEAT CUTTER
I have found only one in a builders suppliers so far and that had 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch cutters......no good for big 7 1 1\16 inch required.........nor for A7 15/16 inch thrust faces (a7c told me the thrust size)

So please for the help of all.....where did you get a suitable  tap seat cutter of at least 15/16 inch for A7 and 1 1/16 for Big 7 ????????????????????
(11-05-2018, 11:41 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: Still no one has given the size or where found of the "tap seat cutter " they have found suitable for A7 and Big 7 king pin eye resurfacing.
Here is my previous observation:-
TAP SEAT CUTTER
I have found only one in a builders suppliers so far and that had 1/4 inch and 3/4 inch cutters......no good for big 7 1 1\16 inch required.........nor for A7 15/16 inch thrust faces (a7c told me the thrust size)

So please for the help of all.....where did you get a suitable  tap seat cutter of at least 15/16 inch for A7 and 1 1/16 for Big 7 ????????????????????

Dennis, Wickes' cutter has three heads - 11/16 - 3/4 - 1" - fine for a Seven but I doubt you are going to find one at 1 1/16" simply because bath taps aren't that big.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Tap-Re-S...GwodUyYLqg