The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wire wheel spokes
Hello chaps, 

I'm still in the process of collecting parts, cleaning and rebuilding ... one big item on the todo list is the wheels. Maybe foolishly the spokes where cut to remove and clean / blast / paint the hubs & rims, only to find the spokes are around £2,40 each and I need 144 of them ekkkk... I've found motorbike spokes 8 guage = 4mm (thickness what I currently have)  for £10 for qty 36 ... clearly from the motorcycle world.  

What guage is the norm ? anyone else using bike spokes ? 

I fancy trying spoking them myself, 

cheers
Matt
Hi Matt

Re-spoking a wheel is not too hard a job, there are several articles on the web detailing how to do it.

Re motorcycle spokes...I wouldn’t!  The spokes I get from Richard bros in Cardiff are accurately sized to fit the A7 centres and rims, as well as having the correct angle on the head.  I believe that they also have pressed rather than cut threads which I am told are stronger.

Shame you cut all the spokes although if the wheels were anything like mine the spokes would have needed to be replaced.

Good luck

Howard
Matt, I'd suggest a chat with Central Wheel Components - I believe they supply the materials to a number of wheel builders.
They do both bike and car parts and will I'm sure point you in the right direction, and based on recent experience they are quite accommodating.

I applaud you for considering building them yourself, and I'm sure there are others who will tell you how (I haven't got around to trying yet). It's certainly 'do-able'. I think you may find though the bulk of the expense is the in materials and painting and you won't save that much by taking on the build yourself.
I second Howard for Richards, they do a splendid job and will supply correct spokes.

https://www.richards-bros.com/gallery.

Howard, I think you built your car in record time, and an excellent result.

For what it’s worth I use Morris’s running in oil and work the engine quite hard to 
bed the rings,but not to the point of labouring.
Not intending to change the oil until 200 miles or so, but I do have a filter on my 
splash lube engine so not worrying about small bits of debris.

Best Wishes Gene
Richards bros are by all accounts fine chaps and I wouldn't seek to rob them of business - but I believe they buy their spokes from CWC...
I recently bought Spokes from Nick Mouat ,Very quick delivery .
before you buy motorcycle spokes, check what the difference is.

you may regret the difference in strength. which may be why they are offered so cheap.

as chris suggests central wheel are a large supplier to all types of users.

they may be able to give you more helpful info on the different from car to motorcycle spokes.

tony
I just had a set of Riley 9 wheels rebuilt here in NZ and the receipt says they used "8g galv spokes and nipples". I needed 240 of them at NZ$4.50 each. That's about £2.25 so the price there seems comparable.

I guess 8g is 8 gauge but I can't measure them for you as I haven't got them back yet. They are also going to fit and balance new tyres for me but we are waiting for those to arrive from the UK.

Next time I speak to the chap I will ask him what the difference is between spokes. He also builds wheels for replica WW1 aircraft apparently.

Simon
Peter Richards of Richard Bros.in Cardiff can usually supply spokes and rims for almost all Austin Sevens off the shelf.
They are also a customers delight to deal with.
Very knowledgable.
Worth noting that for the 19" open centre wheels there are 36 spokes, 12 short, 24 long. However the long ones are in two lengths, 12 of each.