The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulics on a Seven - other than Morris Minor...
Just to add my personal findings and this relates to an A7 chassis with Ford E93A/E83 axles.

The standard pedal set up from a 100E is very robust and quite light and an ideal mount for the master cylinder, multiple choices of bore can be found, I think the last ones came from Demon Tweeks. the current version is dual circuit.

If you are going to do any kind of trials my preference is to retain single leading shoe front brakes (the car will be able to stop going backwards!)

On the front I used Ford Transit rear cylinders (sorry cant remember what year) and these were machined to fit the E93a back plates.

The original adjusters do not take up all the movement so I modified some automatic adjusters (not now automatic and adjusted with a screw driver through a hole in the back plate), this mechanism bears on the brake shoes immediately below the wheel cylinder, the wheel cylinder then moving up under spring pressure to take up the movement.

On the rear axle I retained the cable mechanism and "tree" with an additional lug/eye. I then used a Range Rover clutch release cylinder to push the tree to operate the rear brakes, this system allows the retention of the original handbrake mechanism, its not an original thought and a similar system was used on early A40 Farinas.

the bore of the front cylinders, range rover clutch cylinder and the master cylinder will all have a bearing on the effort required.

I found I needed a larger bore master cylinder to obtain the required movement but obviously that then requires more effort at the pedal.

I had a concern that there would be an imbalance between front and rear axles so fitted adjustable valves in each brake line, to date I have had no need to use either adjuster.

I used parts that I thought would be easily available in the future (I did start on the project 20 years ago).

It should be remembered that the brakes on both A7's and E93A's were considered fairly useless even back in the day and  just converting to hydraulic will not radically improve them.

Sorry I do not have any photos of the work but when I next take the drums off I will photograph and put on here.

Best wishes to all

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hydraulics on a Seven - other than Morris Minor... - by orthoptera - 01-10-2020, 09:22 AM