The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil changes with rebuilt engine
Hi All

The Brookfields has done over 50 miles and I’ve read somewhere that an oil change now is a good idea?

So I’ve just done a nine mile run to warm the oil and drained it.  No nasty surprises apart from some fine black sediment around the magnet in the drain plug. The drained oil seems only mildly discoloured.

Would it be a good idea to drop the sump and gauze at this stage or leave that for the next oil change?

And when should the next change be?

I’m using straight 20W50.

Cheers

Howard
I did mine at 50 miles, 150 miles, 300 miles, 650 miles and 1000 miles, then every 1000 miles thereafter. 20W50 from the supermarket.
Hi Howard,
By 'straight' do you mean non detergent/low detergent oil? 20w/50 is a multigrade, e.g. 30 or 40 weight would be straight oil which i believe can be bought both non detergent and detergent.
Views seems to vary on breaking an engine in. Bedding in the rings is the important thing IMHO and also the cam and followers if new.
I would certainly change at 50 miles though. After that a lot depends on your approach to breaking in. However I would not advocate being 'soft' on the engine. It needs revs under moderate load to bed the rings in, avoid idling for any length of time. Well bedded in rings will avoid bore galze and help keep oil consumtion reasonable as well as aiding optimum performance.
Sorry if this sounds a bit granny & eggs, but just in case its not.
Running-in oil, anyone?  https://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk...n-oil.html
I know that VW used to fill their engines with an oil designed to do this - apparently because a synthetic oil would be so effective as to not allow bedding in to happen for a very long time. If they do now, or other makers do, I've no idea.
Frequent oil changes during running in can do no harm and may even save the day, but for me 50 miles is a bit soon. I would normally change around 500 miles and 1000 miles. There is no need to remove the sump or to clean the gauze strainer (ever, more or less).
Hi All

Thanks for the very quick responses.

Paul the oil is Daytona Classic 20/50 oil (API SE/CC spec) which I believe is a multi grade mineral oil.  I’ve been a bit OCD about not letting the engine idle and there little chance of being too gentle on the engine with the hills around here! I’ve obviously avoided the steepest!

Tony.  I hadn’t realised you could get “running in” oil but now I’ve started with 20/50 I think I’ll carry on.

Chris your comments are music to my ears regarding not removing the sump.  It’s not leaking now and I hope it stays like that  Smile.

Reckless I had an oil schedule like yours in mind but I may spread it out a bit given Chris’s comment.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Howard,
Yes thats a multigrade with detergent. May have some zinc.
I would still change after an initial 50 miles especially if the engine has been under load and using some revs around your local hills. The rings will have smoothed out some high spots. Thereafter 250 miles. The engine should be fully broken in by 350/400 miles, less if driven enthusiastically.
Personally I would never use a running in oil. There is no need if the break in is done properly.

Good luck.
Based on the above I think I might be a bit obsessive but:

Never, ever, let a new engine tick over. Drive it over a variety of roads increasing the load and the revs progressively.

First change using the cheapest oil I can find, 2 miles.
After that, second change using a basic 30 oil after 30 miles.
Then straight 30 oil for 12 months.
After that, Millers Classic 20/50 changed twice a year.

It might seem a bit much but my engines don't burn oil. Oil's a lot cheaper than engines.

Steve
I suspect your magnet has captured all the ring and timing gear dust there is to capture. To get rid of any carbon bits and silicon blobs can pour the old oil through a filter and reuse.
My second 1000mile change was done in the hotel underground car park in Santiago de Compostela, by torchlight. (they had lights but on a movement sensor). By the time the car had come home oil consumption was virtually nil and the oil was still clean.