The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braking in reverse
I wondered if anyone has had a similar experience? When reversing in my Chummy (1930 AE) if I apply the brakes they lock very easily. Going forwards they are the usual feeble brakes. They have been this way since I bought the car. Any obvious things to check please?
May I suggest that you look at all the elements that locate the front axle.
So the ball on the chassis cross member locating the radius arms is this tight ?
Should the rivets be slack these can be drilled out and replaced with high tensile nuts and bolts.
Are the brass cups in good order at the back of the radius arms and are they well fitted ?
If not replace with new ones and I strongly suggest that they are much better if you silver solder them into the radius arms - they need to be a firm fit. 
Is the retaining bolt and spring in good order and well fitted ?
If not replace and fit well.
Are the forgings at the axle end of the radius arms tightly riveted ?
Often these are not - a good thing is to weld these onto the arms.
Are the spring shackles and bushes a good fit ?
If not replace.
Are the king pins and bushes in good order ?
If not replace.

Should all these thing be in good order your braking in either direction should work well assuming the brakes themselves are in good order.
Hope this is helpful.
It is a characteristic of Austin Sevens that the brakes will always be more effective in reverse. This is due to the axles twisting slightly as the wheels begin to lock, increasing the tension in the brake cables. As has been already suggested, ensure all suspension components are in good shape, particularly the torque tube anchor. Austin Sevens get an undeserved reputation for poor brakes, when, if adjusted correctly, with all the operating levers, brake linings etc,, in sound condition,they will easily meet the old MOT requirement of 50% brake efficiency.
Thank you very much for those top tips I will check all out over the weekend