The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Highland Sports Coupe project...
Is there any reason why the brake pedal cannot still be located through the chassis in the original position - it doesn't have to be located on the steering box?
Seems a strange statement. The wedge on RD’s car is well engineered and by the time you have the column top mount in place it will rock solid.
Agreed Mike a wedge can be designed keep the pedal in the correct location it is also stronger than one that is just bolted to the top of the chassis. That said I have never heard of a failure with the traditional two bolt top of chassis wedge, I just don't like a raised pedal and brake rod through the floor, simply a personal choice.
Black Art Enthusiast
Peter and me pushing on, past the wedge...

I don't know that the wedge discussion should be dismissed Rory, this is supposed to be an inspirational thread is it not? There will be a lot of people view it who are considering building a special and have little of no experience, questions will be raised around modifications and in my opinion they should be discussed, the pitfalls, pros and cons of various approaches. These are not necessarily critical discussions of anything you and Peter, or anyone else for that matter is doing, those of us with experience of building cars have our reasons for making certain decisions, and even if we are experienced we can still learn a thing or two from open discussion. Sometimes I accept these side discussions go up blind alleys and are not always pertinent to the thread, however in this case i feel it is very relevant. Instead of dismissing the questions raised perhaps you could comment on why you decided that raising the pedal and brake rod in this case was something that need not be addressed, perhaps you have already decided to address it but as yet have not shown pictures of how you propose to do so, either way I am sure there are forum readers who would benefit from hearing your experience and views.
Black Art Enthusiast
Now I will have to go and dig out the Cambridge from where it is resting in the rented garage, buried under the some of the contents of my son's house.

I have a steering wedge.

The brake pedal is still on the steering box.

Being dim, I have never twigged that, obviously, this alters the relationship of the braking components to the rest of the car.

I bought it like that, I have driven around 100,000 miles like that.

The brake/accelerator pedals work nicely together - "heel-and-toe" - etc.

The brake rod sits happily under the floor.

Now I am wondering how this can be, and will have to go and have a look to find out.   Non standard pedal assembly, maybe?

The wedge has never given trouble, particularly since I have welded to it a short vertical strip with a hole in it which bolts through the original brake pedal hole in the chassis,

thus sort of triangulating it.
I had better get on with the engine so Peter can post some interesting stuff!

One of Mr Palmer's excellent manifolds has arrived...

It's getting a little crowded in here...

Time for this one to fly north.  Tag!  You're "it" Peter!

This is the late John Miles car, it has a wedge and raised brake pedal, it was good enough for him ...
hi R,

sorry if the wedge takes your thread in the wrong dirrection.

it shouldnt!

as the wedge over a box is a very underestimated thing.

most people mistakenly think the wedge is just a cheaper option to doing the job properly. "ITS NOT"

what a wedge gives you, is by lifting the hight of the box. you also change the angle of the wheel to the driver. this suttle design difference may give you a big advantage in a coupe. as well as a little more room.

it can also be an advantage on ulster reps, many people find they build an ulster and the wheel is to close to the dash, especially if you have a full windscreen and hit your fingers on the wingnut. that small difference on the angle of the wheel gives a little bit more space.

so never underestimate the use of a wedge.

or in the case of a dodgy dealer, calling it dangerous. just to push the sales of expensive boxs.

the wedge is very important.

tony
Hi Tony,

I can't, and don't want, to control what people write or do - that is up to them, people can take the thread where they want - all is good.

The wedge has several advantages for this particular project, some of which you touch on above. I am quite happy with it, and the many others I have used, otherwise I would not proceed.

Were I to use one of the new boxes available, I would still have to wedge it (in two directions) so there really was no point, simple as that really.

I was working on another car just this morning that utilises a steering wedge for the exact same reasons. The raised brake pedal is desirable on that car too as the footwell is even more cramped than the Coupe.

The wedge I have is a copy of those sold by Speedex, I think. It is substantial shaped flat steel bar that it filled in completely on one side and partially on the other to allow access to tighten the brake pedal spigot. I have an original 1950's one if anyone wants to copy it.