The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Highland Sports Coupe project...
This is why the Dacia range is becoming so popular, you are getting tried and tested Renault technology like a 1990's car would have had.  Best of all you are not paying for stupid technology (like the 20 different 'mood' lighting options in the new VW's). As for touch screens, don't get me started!  It's illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving but apparently okay to be glued to a central touch screen when you want to adjust the radio or heating, or indeed your mood lighting.  I would want the nearly black setting for Grumpy Old Man.
(28-04-2021, 04:42 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: This is why the Dacia range is becoming so popular, you are getting tried and tested Renault technology like a 1990's car would have had.  Best of all you are not paying for stupid technology (like the 20 different 'mood' lighting options in the new VW's). As for touch screens, don't get me started!  It's illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving but apparently okay to be glued to a central touch screen when you want to adjust the radio or heating, or indeed your mood lighting.  I would want the nearly black setting for Grumpy Old Man.

Plus - if you do want an option - say mood lighting for various occasions - you'll find that you can't have it without electric seats. And if you want just electrics seats, for some reason you're compelled to have keyless locking and the smoker's pack. Electric sunroof? - only if you have the special £2500 paint job. I saved a grand on my last new car because all the options I rather liked came with a further £1500 for things I did not - so I didn't bother with any of them.
"New Car" please explain!
No idea what that means. We have 5 cars, 4 for me and one for the Mem'Sahib. Hers is the newest and it's 11 yrs old. My newest car will be 20 this August. The others are 24, 27 and 88 yrs old respectively. All just nicely run in.
Likewise my 'modern' is a £600, 20-year-old Nissan Micra, not entirely free of electronics but superb value and a minimal number of features to annoy me. Steering, brakes, engine - happy.
(29-04-2021, 10:50 AM)Bruce Nicholls Wrote: "New Car" please explain!

Well, "new" as you go into the showroom and buy a car that the salesman claims - "You will be the first driver".
"Not so," you say. "What about the twenty or so people who've driven it off the production line, into various car parks, onto and off trains, boats and transporters - and the 18-year old mechanic who thrashed it up the road yesterday afternoon?"
Of course, as you exit the car park the depreciation makes you thousands poorer. But, if you're self-employed, doing 20,000+ boring miles a year on business and don't want to drive an unreliable grot box and have some comfort, a new-new car can make sense - the depreciation and running costs are allowable against tax. Otherwise, if a private buyer, get a three-year-old and keep it for fifteen years, or longer. Of course, a grot box for hacking about, going to the tip - and not being bothered if it's dinged or scratched in the car park - also hits the button.
I bought a New New car once in 2008 and it is now a happy and probably worthless grot box/shed-on-wheels and will probably continue as such until is driven into the ground...
This is the last new car I bought, and it will be the last. Not because it's been rubbish because it hasn't. I just can't see the point on spending the huge amount of beer tokens it will take to replace it with something as good, or better. It has given exemplary service during the almost 20 years I've had it and it's been to the moon and back mileage wise. Drives exactly as it did the day I drove it out of the showroom and does everything it says on the tin. However it only comes out very occasionally these days, for long trips and airport runs. I doubt I'll ever wear it out.

In the background is my daily runabout, a C15 van, with a half-a-van trailer should the need arise. That also does everything I need it to do, and more, but not with the same "panache" as the uber-barge. Strangely, the van attracts far more envious glances from the local peasants than the Merc.

[Image: 20210321-103536.jpg]
Hi All

Oh dear! I appear to be at odds with everyone.

I rather like having a new car even if it has been driven by all and sundry.  I also rather like toys although mood lighting is new to me.  I also quite like the warranty although I’ve never needed it and the free breakdown service (I’ve not needed that either).  And yes I do have personalised plates.  I also admit to owning cars using the pcp plan which others may say is an expensive way of running a car. 

But that is just me.....Each to their own  Smile

Cheers

Howard
No worries Howard. It's just that most of us on here are tighter than a submarine's window.