The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Highland Sports Coupe project...
We will know all that information when it is finished Tony.
Years ago I saw the MG High Speed Service van at Knebworth classic car show. The proportions have stayed with me ever since and I had wondered about building an Austin Seven with a similar stance - not necessarily a van as that seemed wholly impractical, but I liked the idea of a coupe. When Ruairidh mentioned his idea of a long wheelbase sporting saloon the idea suddenly looked feasible. 

We want to build something that looks like a 1930ish coachbuilt car but with the benefit of the longer wheelbase. A 2-seater with plenty of legroom and space in the boot for a couple of overnight bags - maybe a stylish alternative to those long-wheelbase "Ulsters"!

Sketches to follow once I'm back in the workshop next week. Meanwhile here are some of the cars we found on the internet which influenced the design:

Still love that top left yellow one!
im sure everyone would have a different opinion on what a sports saloon should be, and if they dont. they should. because we are all different.

for me, top left and bottom right. look a bit hotrod. a dirty word some dont like.

i like bottom left, as the roof tapers to the rear. it suggests sports more than a flat roof.

i always liked bentleys early sports saloon, but it can afford to have a sloping roof, "its a big car". obviously the austin 7 isnt.

this is a very interesting build, and i look forward to see it progresion.

tony
This is a Coupe, not a saloon...
The top left yellow car is a Lombard that Oliver Way worked on. If you haven’t already, check out his website (oliverway.co.uk) for more photos and find the T40 Bugatti coupe - another take on the “Sportsmans Coupe” idea (as is my Rover 10/25 Sportsmans Coupe ?)
Sounds a brilliant project!
Bottom left. No question
Alan Fairless
Number 2 for bottom left including the sexy mudguards.
Good thread.
Will be interesting to hear how long you get your bonnet - and how! The Service Van shape is the only one of those that alerts real visual strength for me, and the original factory 7 coupe seems to work because it pushed its cabin as far to the back as it could.
Hi Peter and Ruairidh 

I like the idea of the coupe and some of the ideas fit the bill.  How about a Ruby style radiator cowl rather than the traditional upright one?

Oh and a long sloping back a la Riley 1.5?

Cheers

Howard