The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedometer for a special (on a budget). Ideas?
When I built mine 30 years back I picked up a nice Ruby speedometer with a needle, looks the part, works a treat.   

My godson is getting close to having his on the road, perhaps with my engine and box (and speedometer) but ideally with his mag engine and three speed box.  

Q1 - is there a way to use my speedometer (or same type) with his three speed box?

They appear from time to time at what looks to be sensible money, but do they always need a rebuild and what sort of money should we expect for that?

Q2 - if not, is there a gearbox that connects to his engine and that type of speedometer?

Q3 - any other ideas for a "we're not building an Ulster rep, just having fun with a special" speedometer?

We'd really like to be able to look the MOT man in the eye and at least think we comply with "construction and use".  A bicycle trip computer is an idea but not very period, a phone app is sort of an option, and I've fitted one of the dash cubbies with a duel USB so can keep it powered but don't really want to have it clipped up on the dash the whole time.  I've seen some "self contained" GPS speedometers in kitcar catalogues, and perhaps an evening on photoshop would have one refaced?

I've several Reliant Robin speedometers that could be sacrificed to the cause...I refaced a very similar (goes in the same hole) Triumph rev counter for mine "back in the day" and another thread mentioned bespoke cables and gearboxes...

Just remembered that a "speedometer" has two purposes - first to avoid a speeding ticket, second to count the miles for the insurance company.

Messages In This Thread
Speedometer for a special (on a budget). Ideas? - by DavidL - 14-09-2020, 06:12 PM