The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dependability tips, please...
The worst thing for reliability is not using it.
If the car is used regularly then the niggling problems will be found and fixed. Once well sorted an Austin Seven is a reliable car.
Jim
I'll second that, with "If it ain't broke don't mend it" as said earlier. Most breakdowns are usually linked to what you last messed about with.
I agree with Austin using them makes you keep the car reliable.
Personally I like the original set up, not sure that updates make more cars reliable ?

Good maintenance is the thing that gives the best dependability in my view.
Having the right selection of spares on board is also a dependability factor.
Everybody has there own views and it’s your car to do what you want with it but I find all these new modern modifications takes a lot away from a pre war car. You end up with the shell of am old car but with modern engineering. I am not saying that you don’t get a better car with these mods but is it still old in the sense of things.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I have found that the secret to dependability is regular servicing. I have adopted a regime with my Seven that (briefly) is as follows:-

Every day I use the car, check engine oil and water

Every 1250 miles: Grease all the nipples. Check water and engine, gearbox, steering box and back axle levels. Paint road springs with old engine oil. Have a good look round and note anything that looks amiss. Oil everything that moves! Check adjustment of brakes.

Every 2500 miles: All of the above, plus change engine oil and remove all drums and check brakes. Adjust brakes.

Every 5000 miles: All of the above, plus change gearbox and rear axle oils, remove sump and filter gauze, clean thoroughly and refit. Check and adjust points. Clean plugs. (Change points and plugs at 10K).

So far in two years and 10K miles in my present Seven, apart from some initial problems with crud in the fuel tank when I first had it, the only involuntary stops I have had are two punctures.

That does not mean to say that i have not had to spend money on the car, but but it does mean that replacements and renewals are done before they get to be a major problem.
Periodic checks that I do now and again include:
1. Checking the wheel nuts for tightness.
2. Touching each wheel adjacent to the brake drum after a run - usually at an even luke warm temperature - stone cold or hot suggests a problem with that brake.
I quite agree with Colin that if using 'original' wheel nuts they need checking for tightness now and then. Personally after one incident being flagged down by gypsy Joe in the high street, and another in which a four-up chummy I was driving lost a rear wheel, which proceeded another hundred yards or so and smacked into someone's fence, I replaced all mine with nylocs.
I think the handbook says the wheel nuts should be checked every 200 miles or so.
Jim
The real trick is to use it regularly, do the maintenance and fix it properly when things go wrong. (Don’t bodge it) Remember it’s an old car and it will need more work than a modern. However, they are reliable. In 45 years I’ve failed to return home under my own steam once. So my advice is use it, travel hopefully don’t worry too much and take your mobile phone.
Alan Fairless
Hi Alan

My bucket list includes the Elan Valley just 15 miles from me...... but mobile phone?  Forget it, there’s no signal!

The Brookfields is currently on shakedown testing (found a leaking exhaust manifold today) but one day soon I’ll do a circuit of the reservoirs (45 miles) mobile signal or not!

Cheers

Howard