The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake light switch linkage - Austin Ruby ARR
Yet another bodge to rectify. The switch is connected to the brake pedal via a piece of plastic coated wire. This results in the brake light only functioning when the pedal is fully depressed.
The switch is not at fault.
What is the correct method of linking the switch to the pedal? 
Any help fully appreciated. Thank you.
Certainly there needs to be a spring, so the brakes can continue to move further after switch-on, but other than that I don't know. Mine is an ARQ and I used stiff wire, not plastic coated.
On my RP there is a clamp around the brake rod, one end of the spring on the clamp, the other on the switch. The clamp can be adjusted to suit.
Reckers' system is what I consider normal for all A7s fitted with brake lights.
The connecting spring/wire was missing from my Ruby when I got it as a barn find twenty years ago.  The brake light switch has a certain resistance and movement of a few mm.  So I found a suitable small spring and tied it on in series with a shoelace (could have used wire) such that the first movement of the pedal put the brake lights on, but the rest of the movement was taken by the expansion of the spring.  It took a couple of goes to adjust the length of spring and lace to get the tension right, but it has worked for ever since.
My Ruby is a late ARQ July 36 and the connection between the clamp on the rod and the brake light switch is via a short chain and works perfectly well.
This is the exact arrangement as came with the car, but I cannot say what I have is original.
Denis S