The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ammeter
I am restoring my 1937 Ruby,and refitting the instruments and rewiring.I cannot make out how to wire up the original ammeter,as all there is on the back is a strap.
My earlier 7s  had 2  terminals for the wiring.
You need to run a loop of wire through the strap to activate the ammeter, don’t ask me which way, I have yet to work that out!
Thanks Ivor.Ive got a wire ,yellow and black from the starter/battery to the ammeter then to the dash light ,and a second wire from the ignition switch to the ammeter
so do i loop one of these through the strap and do i fix it to the ammeter.
This is one of those topics...

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...r#pid50301
Thanks ,so as far as i can make out i join the wire from the starter to the ignition switch and dash light so all 3 are connected and loop one of the wires through the
strap do you wind it round the strap,also fit a fuse on the feed from the starter,is that ok
Looking at the wiring diagram,  I'd suggest forming the loop in a wire from the starter to the ignition switch, with a second wire from the dash lamp switch to the same terminal of the ignition.
(the feed to the dash lamps stays live) 

If you already have three wires, it may be preferable to remove the one from the dash lamp switch and take the wire from the starter (via an inline fuse) through the loop and onto the terminal of the dash lamp switch and take the wire from the ignition to the same terminal (if it is fat enoughtotake both wires!). That way you have the connection via a solid screw terminal,  rather than joining three wires that could separate and cause a short! Plus it saves disturbing the ignition switch.

Thanks Nick thats much clearer i understand now,thanks for your help.
In the previous article, the early ammeter pic shows the 2 terminals bare. They should have covers which consist of an insulating tube with a hole in the side for the connecting wire to reach the terminal. The wire is then secured by tightening top(as in the pic) screw. If you've never seen them my wordy explanation may not be too helpful but unfortunately I don't have a pic.
However you should persevere as there is a risk of a short and consequent fire if they are both left live.
Thanks Nick, busy day yesterday, so didn’t have time to check the wiring, but that makes sense to me, I’ll give it a try.