The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine dynamometer
Question 
Hi all,

Can I ask the collective knowledge and experience if there's a cheap and cheerful way of running an engine 'on the floor' under load? Being halfway through an engine build for my Speedex I'd like to be able to know it runs OK and get the ignition and carbs set up close before it's slotted into the car. Getting some relative indication of power and being able to endurance run it in would be extra bonus's.

Thanks in anticipation : Dave
There’s an interesting A7 engine test stand on EBay today!

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Thanks Bill, I hadn't seen that. It looks good with all the bits to run an engine - but not at load. Blipping the throttle would be as near to load as it would get. A good buy for someone though.

Dave
If you're not worried about measuring BHP, just loading the engine then use the static set up and put a couple of large brake discs /calipers on the end. They'll get hot but you'll be able to run the engine under load.
Charles, I tried this once. Ok the engine was nearer to 500 than 30 horsepower but the brake discs were glowing yellow in about two minutes. However for a quick look see it might be worth a try. Remember 30hp is 22 electric fire bars or thereabouts. It's a lot of heat energy you have to dump.
I've been wondering for ages about the dynamometers they sell for go kart engines. They go up to 50 horse but are a tad expensive.

Accusations of unpleasantness and degradation in a separate thread please.
Quite Alan.
I'd only expect it to be a solution for burst running. For a proper job you'd need a real dyno. I have a DPX 1 gathering dust waiting for me to have time to refresh it and set it up.
HI Dave, If you have access to hydraulics you could use a hyd Pump .

It would need to be about 30  GPM
This would take around 20Hp @1000 PSI
                                  60HP @ 3000 PSI

JUST A THOUGHT
Colin