The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big 7 CWP puzzle
I stripped a spare heavy back axle for my big 7 and was puzzled to find the crown wheel was not the standard 41 teeth but has 43 teeth with 8 on the pinion 5.375 ratio.  The casing is stamped 8 over 41 the standard 5.125 ratio. Curiously I have a separate empty casing stamped 8 over 41 with 43 stamped above that. I also have another empty casing which has extra stiffening ribs on both D parts. The CWP are machined all over with matching etched markings. These axles were all collected separately and at different times. I will put some photos of these on here. If anyone has any ideas how these came about Robin Taylor and I would be very interested. There was no van produced so why a lower ratio.

Don't seem to have got the photos so will try again. The vice marks on the pinion were already there.
Peter,
The 5.375 : 1 axle ratio CWP was an aftermarket product made by Regent just before and after WW11
Thanks Chris. Had not heard of such being produced for Big 7s Seems well made. Pete
Didn't the last of the vans and Rubies share the back axle of the Big 7?
hi roger,

they look the same, and both are on rod brakes.

but the big 7 is a wider track, longer halfshafts. and i take it the pinion tube is also longer, as the pinion shaft is.

thanks tony
Thanks Tony, my memory clearly playing tricks!
What is the experience with Regent cw and p? Years ago I fitted a 2nd hand one in my car. For some starnge reason the cw had worn on the overrun but smoothed easily with emery cloth. It ran reasonably quiet but looking thru the plughole the drive side now shows distinct wear. I had another 2nd hand which was slightly ridged. The cw seem not to be fully hardened. (The original Austin set had started to pit, rather than wear, the expected high mileage outcome.)