The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP / AH bonnets
My late AH tourer should I think have a bonnet identical to the RP but mine is a very poor fit.  Was the RP identical to its predecessors (RN and earlier) and if not could mine be from a predecessor?  The bonnet top seems to be just a bit too wide and the sides a bit too short.
is your radiator cowl original?
Yes, so far as I am aware.  It has the correct measurements.  The bonnet shows its width discrepancy more at the scuttle end.
Hi Robin.  Any RN or RP type bonnet should fit.  It sound as though yours may have been flattened a bit and that the outer curves need to be carefully tightened up.  We had to deal with one like this quite recently and came to the conclusion that it had been forced open against the resistance of rusty hinge pins.  Anyway, we got it right in the end!
Hi Martin
That's very helpful.  Any suggestions as to how to tighten the curves without inducing mass distortion?  Is this a job for the professional bodywork man?
I was told recently by a very experienced Austin 7 owner that the reason many bonnets don't fit as they should is because they spread slightly when they are blasted during restoration.  I think rusty hinges also add to the problem.
Unfortunately my RL bonnet is quite a rare beast so although it is far from perfect I will have to look after it!
I've never tried this, but I would think a suitable piece of timber, say around 3" diameter, placed on the scuttle and under the curve of bonnet, and gentle pressure should improve things greatly.
I knew I would find a use for that old tree stake.
That's exactly what I had in mind; it will be ideal!
Mike's suggestion is exactly how we did it. Just go at it very gently!