The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caster how to add some
Thank you that's a good help. I think
My spring as been slack at some time
And is worn the spring seating at one
Side only ! And going by the leather that
As the imprint basically says so , think
That it going to be a wedge to put it right.
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Finally found out what's happening
Turned the spring round and now got 5dec
Of caster, spring is twisted !
Something is seriously amiss if the leaf spring can overcome the radius arms and alter the caster that much, unless you don't have the radius arms attached yet?
Which incidentally is how I set the caster, attach the axle and spring first, make a spring seat wedge if required to achieve the caster you want, THEN sort out the radius arms. They are often bent and abused requiring fettling to fit, they should meet the ball on the crosmenber without any strain. If the spring is permanently twisted something was not right in the first place, if everything is put together under strain the shackles will wear out in short order and you will loose your caster.
Black Art Enthusiast
No radius arms not connected yet but one thing I noticed
Is the bolt hole at axle end of radius arms have been filed out to let axle to Twist will weld up and redrill and that should make it line Up on rear mount ! The spring is definitely twisted
So taking it to the local spring reconditioner in the
Morning he very good I've used him before
On Morris minor springs and he,s quick.
It would be very helpful if someone on the Forum would add a note on acceptable hole sizes in the chassis bracket, radius arm ball pivot bushes and the arms of the radius rods. My understanding is that there should be a larger hole in the chassis bracket to allow for twisting. A waisted bolt is available from David Cochrane presumably with this in mind; although the picture in the parts list shows a plain shank on this item. Is there an original detailed drawing available in the recently catalogued archives?
Ron