The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair?
(02-12-2017, 10:14 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 07:08 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Moth eaten??

Please don't interpret this as a rant of any description (sang froid seems a bit scarce of late! Despite everything elsebeing jolly froid indeed).
However, I'm not (in this case, at least) interested in 'upgrading' the car, but in bringing it back to (something like) original Austin spec.
The balance between originality (conservation) and functionality ('improvement') is a tricky one and each of us treads his or her own path. And over time we may come to see things differently! Thus it has ever been. Equally I reserve the right at any point to suggest politely to another member that perhaps they are going too far - in either direction!
In this specific post though I'm trying to find out how to convert my car from a Hardy Spicer arrangement back to a fabric joint / pot and trunnion, warts and all! I enjoy actual vintage machinery...
Genuine thanks to all for their input.

I like to try and keep my cars (all pre 1930) in original condition, including  all changes introduced by later owners.

I have two with the fabric/pot joint tailshaft (with leather cover) and one converted to  Hardy Spicer.

In the 88 years of use I would think that many running parts would have been changed by owners keen to maintain their car, including replacing the tailshaft where the pot joint has worn badly (an  area where the cover can let road dirt in) .

With a damaged shaft, especially at the pot joint end I would be quite happy with finding and installing a good replacement rather than trying to repair. 

I am the third owner of a 1929 Australian bodied fabric saloon in what is now called 'oily rag' condition with the original light shaft engine (as confirmed by Gaydon ) plus a fabric and pot joint shaft and in its 77 thousand mile life I am sure there have been a few replacement parts, all part of its rich history.

Not sure oily rag is right for a fabric body !

Cheers, Tony.

Messages In This Thread
Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by Chris KC - 22-11-2017, 11:18 AM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by Mark R - 28-11-2017, 08:40 AM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by David.H - 03-12-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by David.H - 03-12-2017, 06:24 PM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by JonE - 15-01-2018, 09:52 AM