The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair?
(02-12-2017, 12:26 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: You have just got used to the Seven's characteristics Mike. Chris you could chop the rusty end off and fit a Hardy Spicer coupling as I've done to three worn out carden couplings.

Not a bad idea Dave - at least the front end would look the part and the rest is fairly well concealed. May I ask how you accomplished this exactly? It may perhaps be obvious with the bits in front of me but it's a bit parky to linger in the garage just now!

(02-12-2017, 04:16 PM)Annaustin Wrote: I think the hardy spicer type shaft is a well worth upgrade to the original Carden block arrangement due to the lack of full articulation of the carden block.
To refurb the carden joint all parts including the body would need to be hardened and ground to do a proper job.

(All)
Please don't interpret this as a rant of any description (sang froid seems a bit scarce of late! Despite everything else being jolly froid indeed).
However, I'm not (in this case, at least) interested in 'upgrading' the car, but in bringing it back to (something like) original Austin spec.
The balance between originality (conservation) and functionality ('improvement') is a tricky one and each of us treads his or her own path. And over time we may come to see things differently! Thus it has ever been. Equally I reserve the right at any point to suggest politely to another member that perhaps they are going too far - in either direction!
In this specific post though I'm trying to find out how to convert my car from a Hardy Spicer arrangement back to a fabric joint / pot and trunnion, warts and all! I enjoy actual vintage machinery...
Genuine thanks to all for their input.

Messages In This Thread
Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by Chris KC - 22-11-2017, 11:18 AM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by Mark R - 28-11-2017, 08:40 AM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by Chris KC - 02-12-2017, 07:08 PM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by David.H - 03-12-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by David.H - 03-12-2017, 06:24 PM
RE: Pot & Trunnion Propshaft Repair? - by JonE - 15-01-2018, 09:52 AM