The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spin on oil filter mounting
When I first bought my Ulster Rep, the spin on oil filter was mounted on a plate which was bolted onto two of the head bolts. When I had work done in the UK, it was moved to the single bolt holding the filler tube on to the crank case. I have wanted to change to another more solid configuration and have looked in Gould's book on building Ulster Reps. But for the life of me, I can't visualize how his mounting works. Does anyone have photos of his system? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Erich in Seattle
Hi Erich,

Maybe I have a different version of Chris's book as I can't see any reference in it to mounting an external oil filter.

A once-popular method was to mount a stand-alone filter unit on the bodywork to one side of the engine. It is simply connected by a couple of lengths of 3/8" hose. Maybe not the prettiest arrangement but it is dependable. If this meets your needs I am happy to provide pictures and any details you need for the installation.

Personally I prefer this arrangement to mounting on engine studs / bolts, most of which are already busy fulfilling other purposes.
    now I actually like this arrangement
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Chris, it is on page 44 of Gould's book and describes a 1/4" x 1" piece of metal that is bolted to the NS bulkhead and has the filter sitting underneath the passenger's feet. The oil line runs under the nose piece and along the NS flitch panel. I will scan a post the relevant page later this am. I agree, having it attached to other things is an issue, as is seeing it rather spoils the vintage look. Derek, it is accessible, but Gould's method says it is hidden and is easily accessed from under the car.

Erich in Seattle
I fitted an oil filter on to the side of the crankcase on my supercharged engine. I wrote it up in the Association Mag 2003A pg 16. I used the vertical oil filler coil crankcase and moved the oil pressure relief valve, to make it easier to adjust; in to the filter to dump oil back into the crankcase. It could be modified to fit into the corner of the mag crankcase and hang over the side of the chassis rail.

.docx   Oil filter photo.docx (Size: 123.37 KB / Downloads: 17)
My 2nd edition only has 33 pages Erich - sorry. But from what you say sounds like an angle bracket mounting to floor as opposed to the bodywork at side of engine. Perhaps the filter is slightly harder to spot.
Chris, I'll attach page 44 from Gould's edition of December 1998.

Erich in Seattle

Attached Files
.pdf   Gould Page 44.pdf (Size: 336.67 KB / Downloads: 47)
This is the method I used on our Ulsteroid, the mounting having come from Flexolite. It is fixed to a fore and aft angle just below the top of what I believe is called the flitch plate. Our Chummy has the Cylinder head type mounting, but it is a nuisance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(17-08-2020, 08:51 PM)Robert Leigh Wrote: This is the method I used on our Ulsteroid, the mounting having come from Flexolite. It is fixed to a fore and aft angle just below the top of what I believe is called the flitch plate. Our Chummy has the Cylinder head type mounting, but it is a nuisance.

Robert did you enlarge the outlet on the motor from 1/8" to 1/4" BSP?
Cheers

Mark
Well I did on mine Mark. Robert's general arrangement looks very much like my own except I note he has taken the pressure gauge line from the filter, whereas mine is piggy-backed off the elbow in its 'old' location.