The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
rear cross member plaques
The oblong brass plaques on the N/S of the rear cross member have come up in various threads, particularly relating to Gordon Englands. I seem to remember other mentions of these for Australia bound cars - presumably the consensus was that they pertain to rolling chassis leaving the Austin factory. But all of them?
I just wondered how widespread these were i.e. is there evidence on them on Mulliners and other coachbuilts? I'd be interested to know others, and whether owners have got evidence of the original car spec if it isn't obvious.
Is this the plate that refers to the chassis 'belonging to the Austin Motor Company'? 

If so, then logic would suggest these were only fitted to chassis that went to coachbuilders before they were paid for; which presumably means just Gordon England, Mulliner and Startin. These variants were all sold as Austin-catalogued models so the chassis were probably supplied without initial payment. William Lyons purchased chassis in bulk before building the Swallow bodies, and I imagine all the smaller coachbuilders either bought chassis outright, or bodied chassis already purchased by future owners.
yes, those ones! Good hypothesis. Perhaps others will chime in with threads they remember which may cross reference... or indeed, anyone have one on something verifiable other than a GE, Startin and Mulliner?
I've never seen one of these plaques, does anyone have a picture that they could share please?

Thanks

Marcus
"I seem to remember other mentions of these for Australia bound cars"

Not sure this has ever been mentioned- as far as I am aware all the chassis bound for Australia were paid for by the distributors before shipment.  
This is the plate from the rear cross-member of chassis number 102440. B 5209. I have no record of the bodybuilder.

.jpg   %22Property of Austin%222.jpg (Size: 551.35 KB / Downloads: 267)

This plate is on a 12hp Mulliner saloon that was sold some years ago.

Henry,

Thank you very much for posting those photos.

The 7HP one looks to be aluminum especially with the corrosion, rather than Brass which is what was first mentioned. Is that correct ?

Cheers

Marcus
(16-08-2020, 01:27 AM)Tony Press Wrote: "I seem to remember other mentions of these for Australia bound cars"

Not sure this has ever been mentioned- as far as I am aware all the chassis bound for Australia were paid for by the distributors before shipment.  

Tony - it could have just been a chassis photographed in a thread that was from someone in Australia - so your note is good as it narrows things down further.

Material - I didn't examine the one I saw recently (and couldn't reasonably scratch it!), but perhaps it was aluminium. Perhaps Hedd and Ruairidh who have posted things in the past will give more detail on things they have seen. And perhaps GE, Mulliner and Startin owners... 

Great photos. Mike, perhaps the grey mag could put a brief appeal for more information on such things with something like one of Henry's images?
I now have the ex Malcolm Marsh '29 Startin van which is an original and have just crawled underneath. Sure enough, the plate is there with the chassis no. stamped on. It is aluminium and like the first of Henry's photos
Perhaps we could assemble some pictures of chassis cross member ends for the likes of yours, Lance, and the others... which may assist original spec identification for those frames which fall between the available Gaydon ledgers (like Henry's and one sent via email by Ken Kimber)?