The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Corner
I guess we all have a few prized bits of kit in our garages, but once in a while you stumble across something which is so useful you wish you'd bought one years ago and can't help telling everyone how wonderful it is.

As I've been doing a bit of varnishing this week (Craftmaster - lovely stuff) I just thought I'd say a word for the "Brush Mate Trade 4+". It's essentially a plastic box with a vapour pad in it which stops (alkyd) paint drying on the brush. Thus you apply a coat of paint / varnish, hang the brush in the box, and walk away from it. Next day just take the brush out of the box and continue painting. The vapour pad refills are 4 or 5 quid but each lasts for many weeks.

Anyone who has tried coach painting with a 3" brush knows cleaning the brush thoroughly takes much longer than putting the paint on; as for the quantity of white spirit concerned it is something quite horrible. Wish I'd had one of these years ago.

Apologies for wasting the time of those who already know (or know better!); and I promise I have no vested interest! But perhaps my recommendation may be of interest to one or two here (Rod?)

I wonder what other treasures forum members have in their tool chests which others might like to hear about?

.jpg   IMG_1732s.jpg (Size: 345.34 KB / Downloads: 1,118)
That's very interesting Chris. For shorter spells I wrap my brush in cling film but this seems a much better idea.

Forgive my ignorance but what counts as Alkyd paint? is that what I might call spirit based?

Peter.
Yes indeed Peter - e.g. coach enamel.

I have tried the cling film trick in the past but it is a bit hit or miss. With the brush mate it comes out just as it went in, even after weeks have passed. Magic!
I had the luxury of a a decorator for the first time last year, he used one of these ,it was very impressive.
I hadn’t seen one before but he spoke very highly of it, he was with me for a fortnight and I was very pleased with the finished results using solvent based paint.The brushes were supple and clean every time he used them.
Why white spirit and not turps. I have found white spirit elusive tand expensive
Turps is a joy next to white spirit but about 4 times the price here.
    Snap.
Mine’s been waiting patiently to be used with an assortment of brushes.
Relieved to know it does as described, as good brushes are not in the use a few times then bin, as I’ve done with the one cheap one after painting all the window frames.

.jpeg   9AD8C7EA-1E98-4198-B524-22FA65F04CCA.jpeg (Size: 81.94 KB / Downloads: 810)
Suitable brushes also waiting patiently
Geoff - Heat has floored me once again and everything ground to a halt  Angry
They are brilliant Geoff, just keep half an eye on the little star "tell tale" which lets you know the pad is running low. I've put on a coat of varnish every day this week and simply popped the brush back in the box after.

You may find you have to fashion a bit of coat-hanger wire or some such to suit whatever size of brush you choose to dangle. Drill a wee hole though the brush handle to hang it by.

And yes, it's too darn hot! Storm on the way methinks.
Wink 
I might have a go at making one of those Chris, next time I use oil base [alkyd], which by the look of the interior window sills on the house may not be far off.... Some of the 10 litre paint pails here are steel and have a re-usable band locked lid with a rubber seal, which I think would do the job. Maybe some kitty litter, or one of those oil soaker pads on the bottom saturated with solvent, a couple of bits of 6mm round pushed through???
Bob is right about the white spirits, we used to use it in the workshop as a degreaser by the 20 litre pail but it eventually got so expensive we found it more cost-effective [and less risk of fire] to buy 20 litre pails of Brakleen™ instead.
A bit peripheral but I am interested in the UK use of white spirit. Some years ago I wanted some for a plumbers iron and was very difficult to find any source which would sell 4l lot. Even now it is not very available and cost is about double turps in one litre lots about L5 vs L2.10s equivalent. What are typical UK prices pleases? (modern low additive petrol seems to work OK in plumbers irons without coking up so white spirit not necessary petrlhere about L1 per litre)