The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedex motif/badge
Ivor... the ribbing over metric sizes is one thing, but to joke about having a Speedex badge in the drawer is unforgivable... unless... 

I have only been looking for one for 10 years
Big Grin 
(07-08-2020, 08:26 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Just to be pedantic, that 9cm would have been 3½"; in Britain we didn't know about centimeters in 1960  Big Grin
Mike I still have my AJ Metric Handbook (Architects anthropometric data) first published in 1968!!
Agreed probs not too important for a badge Jon but I've recently been trying to dimension / draw engine parts and it is extremely difficult even working in the original units - allowing for manufacturing tolerances, previous bodging, and 90-odd years of wear - to figure out what the dimensions were intended to be. Without the insight that they were dimensioned in eighths, sixteenths and thirty-seconds you don't stand a chance. Conversancy with imperial units is a distinct asset when working on 1920's / 30's British machinery.
(07-08-2020, 10:30 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Ivor... the ribbing over metric sizes is one thing, but to joke about having a Speedex badge in the drawer is unforgivable... unless... 

I have only been looking for one for 10 years
I’m looking Nick!
it was glued to the side of my Super Sportsman DXX 401, which had a Speedex head and I took the badge off when I painted it

https://images.app.goo.gl/CL4gNStVhfL52xCq5
Currently the only information we have for the badge comes from Dave Armstrong's Speedex exchange...

.jpg   thumbnail_Speedex badge 001.jpg (Size: 134.6 KB / Downloads: 265)

If anyone has a better picture of an original Speedex badge I'd be very grateful to see it.

I'm also a little intrigued by the 750 special badge shown above... its obviously different to the 750MC badge but similar. Speedex listed two badges in their brochure (sadly without pictures!) one of which was specifically for the aluminium bodied 750. Can anyone confirm if the round green badge was one supplied by Speedex? 

TIA 
Nick
"An English bishop, John Wilkins, (1614-1672) invented the system part of the decimal metric system when he published a book with a plan for a 'universal measure' in 1668" so we can't blame those filthy foreign devils for it...;-)

I had a traumatic tertiary education, 1st year all imperial, 2nd year half of the workshop machinery was converted over the summer holidays so it was half imperial - half metric and the 3rd year was all metric. I've never quite recovered so woodwoork is in inches, metalwork in mm and guessometry in whichever side of the tape I'm reading.
I'm glad I kept my old and "out of date" Zeus data charts though, the recent ones miss out all the interesting Whit, BA and BSF thread pitches.
I buy petrol for the ORT in multiples of 4.546 litres...
Me too, although I can't be bothered by the last 0.046  Cool
I bet it's cheaper than buying water in a plastic bottle by the litre!
A couple of years ago I was offered a 330ml bottle of water at a service station on a "special offer" price of 50p , the petrol on the forecourt was motorway price of £1.22 per litre and the girl behind the coffee counter looked at me as if I was mad when I pointed out to her that it was more expensive than petrol ...
Ivor - that IS good news (even if you have lost it) and does make the thread worthwhile. I suppose any bumping is worthwhile as it at least makes the chance of your viewing and remembering actually happen.

Can you remember anything about its characteristics? - i.e. was it die cast, was it flat or domed, how many holes did it leave in the bodywork and so on.