The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedex motif/badge
(09-08-2020, 05:36 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I bet it's cheaper than buying water in a plastic bottle by the litre!
A couple of years ago  I was offered a 330ml bottle of water at a service station on a "special offer"  price of 50p , the petrol on the forecourt  was motorway price of £1.22 per litre and the girl behind the coffee counter looked at me as if I was mad when I pointed out to her that it was more expensive than petrol ...
...and where has the all-pervasive craze come from for adults to wander about, clutching the now obligatory bottle of water, like infants with milk?

(13-08-2020, 05:34 PM)Robert Leigh Wrote: In the vein of the post by Duncan Grimond I was on a Swiss Riley Rally about 25 years ago and we stopped at a restaurant at the top of a pass for lunch. Having been charged 12 swiss francs (far more valuable than french ones were) for a bottle of water I asked the organiser if that was right. He said it couldn't be and went to check with the staff on my behalf. They still insisted that the price was correct. I will not be returning to that restaurant!
As I have close relatives living in Switzerland I have an iron-clad rule when visiting: never, ever, even think of comparing prices with the UK. If you do, you'll end up starving - or dying of thirst. And that's in the lowlands. In ski resorts, I daren't even look at the reading on the till; I leave the shock until the credit card bill arrives.