The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear axle
After a loud "bang" under the car, the carden pot started catching on the tunnel.  The n/s axle tube had fractured about half way along, only the rear springs and halfshaft holding it all together.  Age fatigue (made 1923), or any ideas? Anyone have a spare they would sell - type with bell-end stiffening ribs -? Huh
Axle tubes weld quite nicely. I forget the size but there’s steel tube that’s a sliding fit inside the tube. Weld it in position then align the axle tube bits and weld back together.
Alan Fairless
Alan beat me to it, I was going to suggest exactly the same course of action, I will always do my best to save serviceable components before seeking a replacement.

Many years ago I welded brackets to the axle one of my specials and remember being very impressed how well the axle welded.
(05-08-2020, 08:29 PM)Alan Wrote: Axle tubes weld quite nicely. I forget the size but there’s steel tube that’s a sliding fit inside the tube. Weld it in position then align the axle tube bits and weld back together.
Might it be a good idea to stiffen the other side at the same time, using much the same procedure?
It would certainly be worth having a good look around for signs of other cracks / damage.
With torque tube drive, axle housing is subject to stresses, including from braking, spared the more conventional. Presumably the very early axles were lighter than later or is it common throughout? I have seen Big Seven assemblies which have been fractured.
Thanks gents, the stiffening tube and weld seems to be the answer.  But guess what, I found a big box in the shed marked Rear Axle and containing a pair of the webbed tubes I need!   But I will repair the broken one and hope my memory doesn't get worse.
(05-08-2020, 05:19 PM)Robin Boyce Wrote: After a loud "bang" under the car, the carden pot started catching on the tunnel.  The n/s axle tube had fractured about half way along, only the rear springs and halfshaft holding it all together.  Age fatigue (made 1923), or any ideas? Anyone have a spare they would sell - type with bell-end stiffening ribs -? Huh
I wonder if the original axle design had lighter material for the side tubes- beefed up for later production ?
Having taken the axle out I find that it has a sleeve and must have been welded before (see photo).  The material looks thinner than I expected.

Attached Files
.jpg   Chummy axle broken.jpg (Size: 170.84 KB / Downloads: 197)
Is it the actual weld that's failed, or the material alongside the weld that's fractured? either way it doesn't look like the inner tube is doing anything other that aligning the axle tube. Having prepared the A7 tube's joint area with a proper "V" to ensure good penetration, I would also drill some holes around the periphery of the axle tube each side of the break and plug weld through onto the inner tube section. then weld all the way around the tube joint. Be prepared to straighten out some weld distortion once it cools down if you are using a proper amount of current for this job.