The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 Car Club 1926
Enthusiasm for the Seven started early. One wonders if any records survive of early clubs?:

This is currently on eBay, hand-written on the back "1926": https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233667471670?ul_noapp=true

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-08-2020, 12:02 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Enthusiasm for the Seven started early. One wonders if any records survive of early clubs?:

This is currently on eBay, hand-written on the back "1926": https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233667471670?ul_noapp=true

Looks like headlights in forward position on some cars — does that indicate a later year?
Forward headlights were fitted as standard for a period during 1926; one of the cars with forward headlights is a Gordon England Cup, but the others could all be new examples with the revised fitting. Certainly they are all small-radiator cars.
It would be wonderful if our resident 'Photoshopper' were able to enhance this, and thus let us look more closely at the cars - and their registration numbers...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
A number of the cars are carry radiator badges, presumably the Club badge, as this photo supplied by David Howe:

.jpg   1926 Austin Seven Car Club Badge.JPG (Size: 191.68 KB / Downloads: 318)
(03-08-2020, 09:40 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: A number of the cars are carry radiator badges, presumably the Club badge, as this photo supplied by David Howe:
That's an absolutely wonderful badge - let's 3-D print a batch of replicas.....and I'm only half-joking....

(03-08-2020, 08:36 AM)Bob Olive Wrote: It would be wonderful if our resident 'Photoshopper' were able to enhance this, and thus let us look more closely at the cars - and their registration numbers...
Unfortunately, I missed bidding - and, as the reproduction of the photograph used on eBay was out of focus, there is zero chance of getting any extra data from it. Did anyone on the forum acquire it?
I wonder if some owners moved the headlamps to increase road illumination and reduce bonnet illumination, particularly after the works had started producing cars with that arrangement. I understand that it was discontinued because the powers that be decided that the lamps should indicate the width of the car. There are still specified maximum dimensions between lamp centres and side of car in respect of side and rear lamp positions.
They certainly did, Robert; quite a few early cars still have forward-mounted headlights today, and many of these would have been modified in period. Here's a very early car so modified; the picture probably dates from the late 1930s, or even post war, but the headlamps have been in this position for some time. (Gallery photo submitted by Peter Naulls).

.jpeg   261_31_08_18_10_09_07.jpeg (Size: 209 KB / Downloads: 273)
Memory is a bit vague on this but I have a feeling that the Austin 7 car club was a factory run affair and there were branches around the world if I am right. I am pretty sure I somewhere have a picture of a group assembled in NZ, I do need to check that though as the grey matter may be failing me.
Black Art Enthusiast
That could well explain this picture from page 25 of the Austin Motor Company  1930 booklet 'A Record of Universal Achievement' (reproduced beautifully by the VAR in 2017)

.jpg   Austin 7 Club 1930 2.jpg (Size: 134.53 KB / Downloads: 133)