The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head gasket fitting
Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me the tightening sequence for the head gasket along with the torque settings (if any). Also am I right in saying smooth side down for the head gasket? This one has no markings for which way up...
As ever, the A7CA archive will provide. See diagram on p.55 of this handbook

http://archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/uploads/HB_2230H.pdf

for tightening sequence. I hope others may respond to the rest of your question.

Regards,

Stuart
I have a similar book Publication 843/C dated 1957 but still labelled Austin Motor Company. I often wondered if it was a reprint of a much earlier but there are some differences so not. For diffs Duckhams NOL EP 140 and Mobilube GX 140. I have never established with absolute certainty if modern commonly available GL5 EP oils are more or less aggressive to copper, or if any past or present are to a degree which matters in a Seven diff. Most oil firms claim not, and presumably the Austin co knew what it was recommending..

For anyone who has not stumbled across factory lube rcommendations previously, note the hub greasing is grossly excessive and invites leaks. The races only need packing on assembly.
Curly,
For the last 50 years I've always fitted head gaskets smooth face down. Never had any problems...but others may differ!
20lbft and I usually do it incrementally i.e. go round once at 10lbft, then a second lap at 15lbft etc. rather than slapping it up to max torque at first pass.

After the engine has reachedĀ full running temperature for the first time leave it till it is cold and then torque up again.
on page. 54 the handbook to which the link has already been posted by stuartu it says: " fit head gasket with beaded side down" (the chapter where the grinding of the valves is being dealt with)....
Head tightening sequence:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/...dLn5G8sdtA

If you haven't got a torque wrench then just use a short ring spanner, not a socket with a big handle. Grease both sides of the gasket before assembly, and the non threaded portion of the studs in case you have to take it off again...
Thank you all. All done now. Not quite at the running stage but hopefully by the end of the weekend. Watch this space !!! ???
With modern non-asbestos gaskets I believe in retightening after each run in the car until the nuts do not go any further at 20 ft lbs. Following this procedure you may do it five times in total.