The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stator tube springy at ign / gas dish
Before I dismantle the stearing box with outer culomn from car . I have a springy motion in stator /control bracket tube ,can be turned by hand about 30 degre to right and left. No up or down movement . It looks like the solder is ok to hold the control bracket tube socket .because when I try to loosen the big nut at bottom of stearing box ,the tube will turn same way and degree. Quite odd to me . Any idea if a spring are build into the tube or other things  ?
The chassis no of car is 98491  
Thanks in advance  Mogens
Sounds as though the outer tube is broken. If you disconnect the horn wire and remove the levers at the bottom of the steering box you can then loosen the clamp under the steering box and pull out the whole assembly from the top. At that stage you will see the whole outer tube and the likely fault. I have welded the tube in the past but a considerable degree of skill is required for this since it is thin walled and must allow the other two tubes to turn freely inside it, and the steering column has to turn freely outside it. Reassembly is the reverse of dismantling, in the words of somebody who is not doing the job!
I am sure that Robert will be right and the stator tube is damaged. Later steering boxes have a clamp at the base as Robert describes. However your chassis number suggests a 1929 car which will not be like this.

The large nut on the outside of the steering box is threaded onto a top hat shaped bush with its brim inside the steering box. The stator tube is brazed (I think) into the bore of the bush. In order to undo the large nut, the brim of the top hat shaped bush must be held still. The only way I know of to do this is to screw the steering coiumn down hard against the bush to hold it still, using the adjustment for end float.

If you remove the steering box side plate you can probably see all this amongst the lubricant.

Once you have undone the big nut you can unscrew the steering column from the box and remove the stator tube assembly. I find this easier when the steering box isn't in the car.

If a determined person of limited understanding has tried to hold the stator tube still by holding the advance and retard disc and has then then tried to undo the big nut, the stator tube will probably tear. The more sensitive stop before it rips right off the top hat bush. I suspect this may be what has happened to your steering box.

Sorry to suggest more work ahead. Good luck.

Regards,

Stuart
Thank you .The stator tube is more or less like you have mentioned ,but  it is split longitudinal ,or a piece of tin plate folded like tube  ,1 foot welded in  3" from tophat bush . There is only 1 cm that hold upper and lower part together,that is why there was no up /down movement. 
I have ordered new stearing tubes ,now supplied in brass from A7 component.
I am not sure If I can get a photo attatced
Mogens

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mogens - is that a bit you have had made up for the horn push "with no levers"?