The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Under £100 paint job
Tongue 
Hullo! 

First some brief backstory, I'm 18 always wanted an Austin seven since I've been big enough to fit in its glovebox, my first car was an Austin A30 then a ford pop 103e and now a my very own big seven that was in a rather sorry state.

And I'm currently in the process of painting the old girl with a brush, yes I know not great but I'm 18 and don't have thousands to spare, which a chap that approached me and started telling me "you're devaluing that, you ought to get it done properly" didn't seem to understand haha.

Snobs I tell you! Snobs and knobs to em! But yes I shall be using this post to post updates on the paint job in stages.

I've spent £15 on primer £20 on black cellulose for the wings and £45 on tractor cellulose for the dark green on the body then just under 20 on materials (sand paper, filler and a few brushes) 

So here's the red oxide while still wet and then some before!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   IMG_20200520_003602_079.jpg (Size: 83.79 KB / Downloads: 687)
.jpg   IMG_20200520_003603_606.jpg (Size: 68.63 KB / Downloads: 687)
Wow! I hope your tears of rage don't spoil the fininh.

Tell then Coach Painting was an honourable art .
Back in '65 , I was about your age, bought my first car, a 37 Ruby for £5. Engine and gearbox all in bits, no brakes, no headlights etc. I didn't have a licence, so we towed it home behind my dad's car as we thought it only necessary for the guy in front (My brother) to have a licence !!! Not quite as bad as yours, but still a strip down and then a spray with "Brushing Belco" cellulose. It was my first attempt at spray painting on with a small cup gravity gun. Turned out OK and I passed my test in it.
Wash my mouth out, but I 'sold' my 7 for a 103e 2 years later. The deal was swap the 7 for the Ford and the buyer paid me £25 and a tank of fuel at 4/6p a gallon.
Good luck with your 7 and enjoy it. You will learn far more from a 7 than breaking down in a modern car !
Hello jslater. Aged 14, I was doing panels with rattle cans, and at 16 I re-painted my car with oil paint and a brush.

Don't leave yours out in the rain with just the primer, it needs more paint to stop it rusting.

Generally cellulose dried very quickly, too fast to brush it out properly. You might need to find some slow-drying thinners.

Have fun.
I brush painted my Seven when still at school and later painted a Javelin (twice over the decades) a 1952 Minx and a Starlet.
Persons could not pick the brushwork until shown difficult join ups in middle of roof etc. Dust the great problem but eventually polishes out. And brushing enamels lack the quality of other paints. After a few years age rapidly and require regular polishing not just a wipe over. The indercoats a problem as do not flow and leave brushmarks so avoid where possible.. And th time taken for each top coat several hours. Paints have become successively faster drying and it is now near impossible. It seems to be now assumed that noone will attempt to brush any large surface (like an interior house door) with solvent paint and expect a glass finish..
With all the very cheap compressors now available would not contemplate. Some claim to have used Wagner guns but I have never found these good for anything.
If you can spray an oxide undercoat, why not th rest?
it always intrigues me that people repaint old cars with exotic paints when the cars will likely seldom venture out and always be garaged.
Might I mention that Craftmaster are the manufacturer of very high quality enamel for brush application. They are much used on railways and other steam machinery as well as some canal boat engine rooms and cabins. . My only connection is as a happy customer.
Did I understand right that you are planning to brush paint with cellulose? Did you find someone who sells 'brushing' cellulose? (the only place I can think of that sells cellulose paint now does not recommend it for brushing).

My guess would be you will struggle to keep a wet edge and brush it out smoothly - got to work very fast indeed, but still carefully and thoroughly. The good news is that unlike brushing enamel, you can sand away to your heart's content and then simply polish what remains - the finish does not have to be that which was left by the brush.

I painted my car with Craftmaster enamel and let's just say it's a learning curve - I'm now proud of the result but brace yourself for a lot of wet sanding.

Good luck!
What a great story, good luck.... You don’t need a bunch of old wrinklies giving unwanted advice but don’t try and mix cellulose and enamel paints, they react against each other. Time spent in preparation will be saved later. In a modern world where we all seem to want things we don’t need and often can’t afford yours is a really uplifting story, congratulations.
Cheers from Chris and Hilary
I painted both my first Seven and my special with a brush when I was (much) younger. On both occasions I used a brushing enamel. You can get a good finish if you are careful.

The paint has a twofold purpose:-
1. To preserve the car, and
2. To make it presentable.

So, paint it now and get using it. Painting it to a higher standard can always come later when funds are more plentiful.

All power to your elbow, young man!
Well Done young Slater. When I had my first Seven, I was as poor as a church mouse and hand painted it with Parsons brushing enamel, apart from some dust and a few flies, it looked a whole lot better than when I bought it!