The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early saloon windows
Early saloons (R and RK types) appear to have the fixed side and rear windows "puttied" in. When my R type was bodged up cosmetically rebuilt in the 1980's, the windows were put back in with Dumdum putty. This was clearly wrong as the oil from the Dumdum has crept between the layers of the original Triplex laminated glass and left a tide mark of about an inch of brown stain.

Anyone know what the original material was? It was brown in colour and the traces remaining on my car have gone rock hard after 94 years. It wasn't, from the smell of it, Linseed oil putty. 

Actually, there may have been two sealers, the stuff sealing the rubber strips at the end of the sliders is different, black in colour and equally hard.

More to the point, what's available to use now? I see some Butyl glass sealers on eBay and wonder if they're useable?? Anybody else crossed this bridge??
As our R Type is in the resto queue, I'm also very interested in the collective wisdom

Aye
Greig
I used black Tigerseal on the Pytchley fixed windows, it seems to do everything you would want?
Hi Parazine

The windows on my RK are simply fixed with rubber section.  There was a recent thread about what section to use.

Cheers

Howard
(23-07-2020, 08:07 AM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Parazine

The windows on my RK are simply fixed with rubber section.  There was a recent thread about what section to use.

Cheers

Howard

Hi Howard,

I'm not sure that's the original way of fixing the windows on the RK, my very original '29 saloon has the rear side windows and rear window "puttied" in. 
In any case, it's not going to work for the "R" type saloon with sliding rear side windows; the fixed glass will have to be fixed in place with something. I'm reluctant to use the "Tiger" range of products as I may have to get the glass out again in the future!
Any one else solved this dilemma?
I don’t know if it’s the same for other models but on the rear fixed windows of my Mk1 Ruby I used no sealant other than bicycle inner tube split length ways and put around the glass before assembly. The excess cut off after fitting with a very sharp craft knife.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Without doubt the best modern material to use for this job is any polyurethane like Sikaflex (there are others).
This is what is used to bond modern windscreens into all cars now.
It is important to really clean well the edges of the glass beforehand to remove any silicone left on the surface of the glass from manufacturing.
You need to work smartly and do all the windows in one session, once the tube is open it needs to be used, it will go off in the tube.
Do wear gloves and remove excess immediately. You can get polyurethane cleaning wipes - very handy.
It will truly seal the edges of the glass and thus avoid de-lamination at a later date.
Don't be tempted to use silicone sealer which although much easier to use is not as good for this job by a country mile.
Hope this helps you.
Thanks Nick, I'll give it a go. Still painting at present but should be fitting windows in a few weeks....
If using proper bonded Windscreen sealant you will need the little bottle of black primer as well.
If bonded in be sure you have access to cut it out again in the future if needs be, sharp blade and piano wire are the usual tools for removal.Sure way to be leakproof but is pretty much permanent.