The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 RP Box brakes
A problem that occurs on braking. Loud noise and vibration. I am at loss. Have checked everything and all seems ok.HELP !!
Can you provide a few more clues for people to think on perhaps? Is this in forward motion, in reverse, from speed, slow. Any clues to go on would help...
What kind of loud noise?
I get that, usually on the first operation of the brakes as I leave my drive.

I have at least one slightly loose pivot on the offside front brake backplate.   It should be rivetted on solidly, but isn't.

Horrible loud noise and juddering, but usually doesn't occur on the rest of the trip.

Needs to be fixed, though.
If my car has not been used for a few weeks I get an awful distressing noises hen the brakes are used for the first time. After that initial braking they are then Ok. I put this down to the contact surfaces between drum and linings having a small amount of rust on them that has built up whist the car is unused. One application of the brakes removes this and all is ok.
On reading your input above Simon perhaps I had better investigate things further.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(21-07-2020, 05:30 PM)rollo Wrote: A problem that occurs on braking. Loud noise and vibration. I am at loss. Have checked everything and all seems ok.HELP !!

Rollo, I think that just a little more information is required:-
1. Has the noise and vibration just started?
2. What linings are you using?

I ask this as my own car, (a 1933RP like yours) began to make a serious graunching noise on braking (which I referred to as 'railway brakes' as the noise reminded me of the noise from truck brakes in shunting yards). It first appeared when the brakes had got wet and then were drying out. It then got to be there more often, not all the time, but especially when stopping the car in reverse. Checking the brakes revealed nothing amiss, so I lived with it.

Very recently, I decided to reline the brakes as the rears were beginning to get a bit thin.  The material fitted when I had the car was the old type rope linings. I replaced them with more modern linings from one of our cherished suppliers and, Lo and Behold, I now have nice, smooth, progressive brakes and no funny noises.

I did check the entire braking system whilst the shoes were off and made sure that:
a) The fulcrum pins were tight in the backplates
b) The cams and their attendant bushes were in good order
as I know from previous experience that defects in these especially can cause all sorts of horrid problems.

As I said at the beginning of this little diatribe, a bit more information would help to diagnose the problem, but I hope my comments help a bit.
(21-07-2020, 06:46 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: I get that, usually on the first operation of the brakes as I leave my drive.

I have at least one slightly loose pivot on the offside front brake backplate.   It should be rivetted on solidly, but isn't.

Horrible loud noise and juddering, but usually doesn't occur on the rest of the trip.

Needs to be fixed, though.
My bet is that you reverse out of the drive Simon, or am I wrong?
Many thanks. I will double check all four. Yes I do back out.
Do the brakes still work and does it pull up evenly or to one side?

I had 2 cases of loud noises and juddering from my brakes (33RP). First turned out to be a snapped off top pivot pin, which was in position on first visual inspection but showed itself to be detached with some prying.

Second was a fraying cable which was catching on the central guide. Again no sign of a problem when not moving until looking very closely. I replaced all 3 to be sure.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Yes, I reverse outof the drive.    Those noises are below my radar.

It is the ones that happen when I stop ot the juction with the main road I don't like - but, as I say, they do not usually happen again, so I have forgotten about them when I put the car car away.