The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring Sump Plug
Just re-fitting my engine and have replaced the sump plug washer with "Dowty" seal.

Only slight concern is that it's quite thick so the thread on the plug doesn't engage in the sump as much as as previously.

I did wonder about wiring the plug in place as having it fall out would obviously be disastrous.

So, am I worrying about nothing or do others wire the plug in place?   I did wonder if this may be a requirement for those who enter speed events.

If anyone does wire the plug how do you secure the wire to the plug.   I have seen nuts corner-drilled but not sure that would be possible without a drill jig.

John.
Drilling is easy enough, SHARP drill and start drilling at 90 degrees to one side of the hex and SLOWLY change the angle such that the drill comes out on the next flat of the hexagon. As to where you wire it would be the question !
Try telling a VSCC scrutineer that. Wired sump plugs are required by them. But, for what it’s worth I totally agree.
Alan Fairless
Whilst you're there araldite a magnet in. Drilling may create a hole through anyway.
Ones like these are good.
https://onlinemagnets.co.uk/10mm-x-3mm-n...ull-5-pack
However I have about 200 of them so could a few out if needed.

And on my alloy sump there's a flange at the back that appears designed for lockwire

c
With John here - unless you have regs to comply with I would fit a fresh fibre washer, make sure the joint face is clean / flat and nip it up tight. Never had a sump plug fall out, nor heard of same.
I have never lost a sump plug but I did lose a gearbox drain plug on the Isle of Arran in 1992/3.

I walked up and down the road following the oil streak, but never found it.

My island friend told me that there was the remains of an old car at the bottom of his track and took me along to see it in his Land Rover. It turned out to be a very rusty late 1930s Austin 12 (it had been dumped 10m from the sea and was suitably "degraded"), it was on it's back and I was able to remove all three drain plugs from the sump, gearbox and back axle. I have always carried a spare since then although I have never experienced the issue again and I have never felt the need to wire them up.

I do check they are tight from time to time.
would a ring of silicone not give an extra (but easily removeable) safe link if people thought the need?
Many years ago I loosened a sump plug whilst trialing on a w/e, The following week, attending a Club night, the motor went decidedly rough. Checking, the oil was found to be low to nil. Commenced filling with fresh oil only to see a pool of same appearing under the car! Unbeknown the plug had unscrewed and was lost. Luckily a spare was found. Engine started and sounded fine. After several hundred more miles I had occasion to strip engine. One bore and piston scored, together with rod slightly bent. It always amazes me the abuse a Seven engine will withstand.
5 minutes work with a 2mm drill bit Vs. the risk an engine/gearbox/rear axle failure. I have rebuilt an A7 motor (not mine) that dropped its sump plug at high speed. Knackered big ends, crank with some scoring, bores needed a hone and new rings.

I always lock wire drain plugs. On an A7 with a tin sump. there's enough metal on the return fold of the flange to make the lockwire off to. Otherwise, there's always somewhere. This with the lockwire going round one of the new fangled additions on my special's rear axle.

[Image: 50136554098_41c8f28e96_z.jpg]

Otherwise, Just cross drill a handy bolt head, like this one I did on Sue's Fiat Giardinera.

[Image: 50136553468_53a10a6069_z.jpg]

Of course, it might just be alright on the night; here's the sump plug I took out of Sue's Giardinera. A previous owner had ripped the thread out of the ally sump, cobbled this item up, bashed it into place and sealed it with a big gob  of silicone.

[Image: 50136552043_4079049944_z.jpg]

I rethreaded the sump plug hole to the next BSP size; the car hasn't rejected this foreign component as yet.
HI John P,
When you Wire the plug in Take a look at Stuarts second photo that is a great shot of the correct way to do it,
for any one who is not conversant in using lock wire note that the lower wire on the plug is in tension stopping the plug revolving anti clock ways same with the bolt.
This would be second nature for Stuart

Colin
NZ