The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The Austin 7 Centenary Event 2022
Organising an event like this must be an absolute nightmare. You can't please all of the people all of the time. It's a thankless task and I'm immensely grateful that there are people in the A7 world who are prepared to give up so much time to try to make this a success.

We've had at least a couple of years' notice that the centenary event was going to happen and everyone has had the opportunity to make their suggestions and contributions, or, Heaven forfend, put themselves forward to serve on the organising committee.

It's a bit late in the day the start complaining that aspects of the event aren't convenient, or to your taste.

Thanks to all concerned. We're very much looking forward to attending in both private and trading capacities.
(16-07-2021, 07:09 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: How about having smaller local one-day events?

There's nothing to stop individual clubs from organising their own local events, and indeed I would be surprised if many of them don't - the centenary lasts all year!
The 100 years anniversary is something special. As said above, none of us will be here for the next one. Planning for something like this is a massive task and somewhere along the line those doing that planning have to make some decisions. These decisions are made after the organising team have looked at all the options and considered all the possibilities. No matter how they try they won't please everyone. In the case of Moreton next July, our team have secured a fabulous venue at the Fire Service College, somewhere I know quite well. We thought Warwick School was good. This beats it hands down. However, it, inevitably, comes at a cost and once the option to go there is secured the team have to figure out how they're going to pay for it. Lots of options but they settled on a single charge for the full week no matter when or how often you go. Seems straight forward to me and, probably, the best plan when your looking to plan to cover the costs. You make an estimation of how many will book in, multiply that by your entry fee and you've got a bottom line income that tells you if you're on the right track. Yes, that's based on an estimation of attendance but so is every other alternative and doing it this way has the least variables.

Quite simply, if you're not happy with that, don't go. I suspect that the majority will understand and pay up happily. The costs noted above are less than it will cost to fill my motorhome with diesel for the week. Get real. The day that has the least interest for me is the Prescott day. I've driven up Prescott maybe more than a hundred times and before next July I hope to have driven up it another eight. Maybe twelve depending on next year's dates. That doesn't mean I want a discount for not going. It's all part of the big picture and the big equation and I'll enjoy a leisurely lunch somewhere on that day whilst others are enjoying their time at Prescott. And they will enjoy it, it's certainly worth the effort.

I've been part of a team planning a major event such as this. It's a massive personal commitment and we should be very pleased that our team has stepped up and taken the job on and thank them without qualification. If the decisions they make don't suit you individually then please realise that they have to make those decisions based on all the factors, not your individual requirements or preferences.

Bookings opened for next July for the Caravan and Motorhome Club's site at Moreton a couple of weeks ago. It's less than ten minutes away from the Fire Service College and the CMC's management have already noted a significant spike in booking for 'our' week. I suspect I'm not alone in my views.

Steve
Hi all my wife and I are counting down the day's for the bash. We will be there from Tuesday till the end. (god willing) See you all there. S&P. Cool
My wife and I will be there with two 7s for the week. 
We have attended every anniversary since the 1972 at Longbridge. Actually my wife missed that one she was at home having a baby. 
Don't care what it costs we will have a great time and will be happy with any medal, mug or whatever we are given. 
A lot of people have put a lot of effort into this and we are going to enjoy it. 
Gordon
hi bob,

me and tracy used to collect cash`s of coventrys silks. easy to pic up at shows. they were like many things though, we soon run out of space. so sold most. just kept the important ones bought for presents.

on the subject of paying for one day or five. when i stood enfield padgent. the reply to the entry fee of £80 being to expensive. the organisers would always say you are getting 4 days. thats £20 a day. this annoyed us. as friday was a set up day. and monday everyone was back at work. if they sold it as £40 a day for the two days. there would be nothing to argue. you pay if you want to attend. or dont.

manybe the 100th anniversary, should be sold in a simular way.

in stead of saying you are getting 5 days, so thats very cheap per day.

sell the tickets for ONE DAY ONLY but you must buy a ticket to entre. and you get the other 4 days FREE OF CHARGE.  Big Grin

that way theres nothing to argue. 

you pay the same price for one day, as you would have for five on the old plan. pay and attend for at least one day. or dont attend.

im a genious Angel

tony.
(16-07-2021, 07:48 PM)Bob Olive Wrote:
(16-07-2021, 06:38 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All the organisers 

Just like to say that Liz and I will be there, possibly for most of the week.  I wouldn’t want to miss one minute of the event given how hard the organisers have worked to put it on.

Mug, G&T glass, plaque, solid gold medallion?  I don’t mind and I’d be grateful for anything that comes our way.

Once more bravo for the organisers.

Cheers

Howard
Completely agree with Howard above, it IS the Seven centenary, and won't happen again in any of our lifetimes.  God and Covid willing, my wife and I will be there for the duration, and with grateful thanks to all those noble souls who are putting so much effort into it. Also agree on the question of memorabilia, whatever is decided will be good enough for us.

On this latter point how about commissioning a very small range of memorabilia but FOR SALE rather than as part of the 'welcome/goodie bag'.  This would allow those that want something to remember the event by - many entrants may be ambivalent on this -  to choose to their taste. 

Back in 2005, for the Austin Centenary event, I re-designed the Austin Motor Company Blackpool Outing lapel ribbon, together with a larger version as a pennant - as shown, made up by Cash's. They weren't terribly expensive from memory. Just a thought.

(16-07-2021, 08:06 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Tony G. Great comment and exactly the right attitude. I am tucking into a lovely bowl of grass right now.

Bob - there will be a range of Centenary Year items and apparel available to purchase from later on this year. And it is quality stuff!
Good news indeed. I'll make sure that all the family is wearing the right kit. Pass the dandelions!
I rarely comment on here but attended the 72, 82 and 92 events.  

After a gap of twenty years I am looking forward to the 2022 event very much.  I can see from what is being offered that a lot of thought and attention to detail has gone into the planning.  Thank goodness those who are pushing this larger event forward are not starting from a point where they feel they have to appease the types where moths appear when opening tightly sealed wallets.

This is a Centenary event, not a village fete.

There are doers in this world and there are those who whinge, thank goodness the former are in charge of this.

Those who cannot leave dogs will be unable to come, we know this because from the outset we have been told that dogs cannot attend and the very clear reason why that is.  Those who cannot sleep anywhere but their own bed will always find that nothing else will ever suit and if the, quite frankly, pitiful suggested entry fee is too much then perhaps collecting Austin Sevens is not the best game to pick.

I note that none of those in the whinge category on this thread are offering any solutions or indeed help.

I cannot wait for this celebration to begin and I will most certainly be there, thanks to all those who are working hard for it to be the success it deserves to be.
Well said, Cranky. That was the perfect response to the tight-fisted, unadventurous, professional complainers. Their comments have been both hurtful to those contributing time and money to this great exercise and, frankly, ungentlemanly in tone. If more unhelpful, negative comments crop up again let us all - as when dealing with social media trolls - ignore them. Positive and helpful suggestions, of course, are always most welcome.
(17-07-2021, 11:08 AM)Cranky Wrote: I rarely comment on here but attended the 72, 82 and 92 events.  

After a gap of twenty years I am looking forward to the 2022 event very much.  I can see from what is being offered that a lot of thought and attention to detail has gone into the planning.  Thank goodness those who are pushing this larger event forward are not starting from a point where they feel they have to appease the types where moths appear when opening tightly sealed wallets.

This is a Centenary event, not a village fete.

There are doers in this world and there are those who whinge, thank goodness the former are in charge of this.

Those who cannot leave dogs will be unable to come, we know this because from the outset we have been told that dogs cannot attend and the very clear reason why that is.  Those who cannot sleep anywhere but their own bed will always find that nothing else will ever suit and if the, quite frankly, pitiful suggested entry fee is too much then perhaps collecting Austin Sevens is not the best game to pick.

I note that none of those in the whinge category on this thread are offering any solutions or indeed help.

I cannot wait for this celebration to begin and I will most certainly be there, thanks to all those who are working hard for it to be the success it deserves to be.

As is often said, +1

Steve