The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrapping for harness - where to buy?
On my AG rewire I used "modern" hard,but flexible black plastic conduit to cover the cotton covered cables. I had used it on 60 -80's rally cars and it is very practical and unobtrusive when used with heatshrink to keep the cotton cover in in place at the ends of wires. I have also rewired with "armoured " cable and that looks great, but you have to be careful to avoid careless shorting out to earth - particularly when scuffling about between the dash anD the fuel tank bulkhead!!
David
(17-07-2020, 04:15 AM)Erich Wrote: ....In 1935, the change was made to cloth covered.

Erich in Seattle
Thanks Erich - my car ist 1935
(17-07-2020, 04:15 AM)Erich Wrote: Bela, you may be referring to "armoured" wiring. This was standard on Sevens until the early thirties, about 1934. In 1935, the change was made to cloth covered.

Erich in Seattle

My Seven was made in 1934, first registered 31st December 1934, and I can by fairly certain it was the original wiring loom that was falling to pieces thirty years ago. It was cloth covered.
I got an answer from autosparks which explains why it looks so perfect:

We don’t sell the braid as a sleeve; it is woven onto the cables by a machine that we have so we can’t sell it as an individual product.

I guess I'll go on with cloth tapes.
I asked Autosparks to rebraid the bespoke loom I made for one of my specials.
I have found the invoice which is dated 2003, so somewhat out of date. At the time they charged £1.25 per foot+VAT. The eventual cost was around £40 in total. I didn't consider that unreasonable for something I couldn't possibly do myself.

It certainly made an excellent job but it does rather concentrate the mind at the loom building stage. You can't just unwrap it and add in a wire if you suddenly fancy heated seats.

Regards,

Stuart
Thank you Stuart - useful info! But sending the prepared harness to UK seems cumbersome and lengthy to me.
On my special I also used Tesa cloth loom tape. It works very well and looks period enough for me for a special.

Where the tape ends I used rubber Hellermann sleeves to finish off. Thanks to Ian W for suggesting that to me. I'd used them in the past when I was at school as I used to do holiday jobs as an electronics technician but never thought to use them on the car years later.

If you want the loom to look factory then having it professionally wrapped is the best way.

I wouldn't use PVC electrical tape. That looks wrong, will come undone over time and leaves sticky residue everywhere. If you use modern heat shrink anywhere you can often remove the white lettering printed on it by rubbing it with isopropyl alcohol to make it look less jarringly modern.

Simon