The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby battery box
Nudged by the bearded wizard, and the need for a little more information, I thought I'd ask if Ruby owners could please share a photo or two and a little information about their battery box. 

My battery box had a large hole hacked out, folded back and no lids . The leaky battery ate a hole in the scuttle and finished off my Browning's Battray BT4...

About 10 years ago I bought a battery box from a mk2 Ruby and hid it at the back of the garage. Given the need to reach for the welder, I thought it might be useful to graft it in.

Firstly, have batteries shrunk? The cable cut out for the -ve terminal is an inch too high.

Also how is the battery clamped. The speedo cable is potentially in the way.

I'm starting to understand the big hole...

.jpg   20200714_220136.jpg (Size: 205.32 KB / Downloads: 373)
Nick - a year ago someone on the Forum wanted a new front for a battery box and I offered to make one for nothing,  Somehow we lost contact and I couldn't remember who the  requester was. I still have the panel here somewhere.  Was it you who asked?  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Oxfordshire Sevens do the boxes and the battery clamps for the Ruby, I understand.

Jamie.
Have you seen the one on Ebay?
Thanks Jamie and a very kind offer Bill... it wasn't me.

I have half a battery box from a mark 2 Ruby with lids... it's the rusty thing in the photo! Apart from the steel being much thinner,  it will graft in just fine. The issue is that the battery sits very low and the speedo cable seems to be in the way of clamping. Just wondering what the original battery cable and clamping arrangements are!
Nick,

I found the same issues. The simplest solution seemed to be to place a thick piece of plywood under the battery and another, triangular-shaped piece vertically beneath the speedo cable. You can then tighten the correct corner-clamp without trapping the cable. Use a good thick grommet where the cables exit the box - I've seen a few spark-eroded holes over the years!

Peter.
Thanks Peter 

I guess that's the only way to make a modern battery fit the hole. They must have shrunk..!

Next job to find a photo of the clamp and to bodge something appropriate!
A Google search brings this up: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/a...-163161185

It should have a wing nut on each end although mine has been extended to make room for two nuts locked together. You will find holes in the battery box to give you the location.

Peter.
Music 
I have battery straps available - see BW984 here: www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#interior

[Image: BW984.jpg]
They look fantastic David and are good value. Being a descendant of a northern nation (not independent) and born in a northern county (which also considered devolved independence) inhabitants of known for looking after the pennines, I'm feeling rather guilty that I want to have a go at fabricating one. 

There remain plenty of bits that I can't bodge, so I don't suppose it will be long! Longr battery cables for a start!

Parsimonious by birth... probably.