The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nippy Radiator Shells
A couple of weeks ago, I started to replace the bonnet rest rubber, and fit the correct headlamps to my Nippy. The car was fitted with a canvas strip as the bonnet rest on the bulk head and radiator shell. The bonnet was a poor fit, resulting in chipped paint on the bonnet edge and bulk head. As usual, what started as a small job has grown into major works.
As I could not get the radiator shell to move to improve the radiator- bonnet fit, I removed the radiator to check the attachment holes would allow adjustment movement. I found that the rear edge of the radiator shell was resting on and abutting the front nose piece of the chassis. Thus preventing radiator alignment.
I have another scruffy short radiator shell, so decided to compare the two. The old shell has a section of the bottom inner edge cut away,so that it clears the chassis providing much more scope for adjustment. It is not a Nippy shell as it lacks the head lamp mounting bracket holes. 
Before I start cutting my Nippy shell, where Nippy shell originally supplied with the cut-away? or am I missing something.
I will try and include photo's of the two shell.
Sorry cannot get the photo's attached.
Do try to get the pictures attached. Navigate to the photographs on your computer and select them (double click the image or select "open"). Next, you have to click on the "Add Attachment" button - bottom right on the screen. Then, click on "Preview Post" to see if the pictures have attached - sometimes, for no good reason, you'll find they haven't. Just repeat the process and - second time lucky. Still having problems? email me and I'll try to help: tony@lathes.co.uk
You might find thhe photo's you're trying to upload are too large and require compressing . I use IMG2GO when I send in emails. Just follow the instructions carefully on the friends site to add images.
(14-07-2020, 03:42 PM)Peter Clayton Wrote: You might find thhe photo's you're trying to upload are too large and require compressing . I use IMG2GO when I send in emails. Just follow the instructions carefully on the friends site to add images.
Yes; the limit seems to be no more than 3MB.
Hi, in answer to your question, no Nippy shells were not cut away at the bottom.
You would be ill advised to start cutting bits out of the shell, the problem lies elsewhere.
John - Unless i'm misunderstanding your question, there should be no need to cut into your Nippy shell.  It's confusing I know, but the "Short" shell is exactly the same length as the "taller" Nippy one - the difference being the Short shell 's bottom edge hangs below the chassis nose bracket, the "Tall" shell's bottom edge sits on the front edge of the casting/forging?, thus making the top of the Nippy panel 1 1/2" higher from the ground.  At worst you only need two holes in the bottom of your shell to fit over the U bolts sticking up. There should be no problem with adjusting the side mounting bolts to align the shell  to fit the bonnet.  Re the latter, I'd suggest you replace your fabric "Gasket" with a rubber lipped one.  Apologies if I got the probelem wrong.   Good Luck & Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Thanks to everyone for their advice.
 Bill your suggestion of the holes to clear the "U bolts" made a big difference. However, I then found the O/S edge of the
radiator shell was abutting the "cow horn".  Judicious use of the cutting disc with the angle grinder on the "cow horn", gave me another 1/4 inch clearance, giving a nice fit with the shell/bonnet and bulkhead. When I refitted complete radiator/ shell/ hoses, I found the bottom hose was too long, upsetting the fitment I had obtained with just the shell fitted!!!  Shortened the bottom hose by 1/2 inch, and good bonnet to bulkhead/radiator fit obtained.