The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! My Big7 is stuck in 1st gear!
As with other similar makes I am always intrigued by the arrangement of sliding parts and gear hubs. After 1st gear is engaged there is nothing to stop the gear hub wandering forward to its other extreme until the 2nd gear synchro cones contact. If 1st selector wear or adj allows the 1st to go well rearward, and the synchro cone is well worn the balls in the hub may start to emerge around the rim and wedge the 1st gear irretrievably rearward. The heavy rubbing synchro cone effectively engages 2nd gear at same time, more or less locking the drive. Some or all balls may pop out. Curiously cars seldom show signs of any synchro cones heavily rubbing for protracted periods.

(Javelin cars had a similar simple box. The makers took over final gearbox production but tolerances were poor. The steel on steel cones rubbed until they seized and the car locked in two gears, locking the wheels, terrifying the test drivers in winter, and leading to warranty and remedial work which finished the firm. Was “remedied” with an additional ring of grooves to capture the balls and limit hub wander. Curiously trouble with earlier boxes is almost unknown whatever the use)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help! My Big7 is stuck in 1st gear! - by Bob Culver - 11-07-2020, 10:14 PM