The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thoroughly modern 1931 estate with A7 saloon
Not a very good copy, I'm afraid, but I've done my best with it...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have yet to see anyone over 9 stone in these adverts . After watching American reality shows, and visiting local supermarket, tend to forget what humans looked like.
I wonder what the Council used to clean the street surface? My wife would have been interested.
It is remarkable how popular sun roofs were. How many ever regularly used them or do now? Presumably much of the attraction of the Seven cf Ford 8Y. I suspect if it were not for the social stigma of the Ford from the T, far fewer Sevens would have been sold.
All these covers of considerable interest thanks.
A pleasure, Bob. A little artistic window into a past world.
(11-07-2020, 02:15 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: ... It is remarkable how popular sun roofs were. How many ever regularly used them or do now? 

I have mine open all the time, except in heavy rain conditions.

Thanks for the lovely picture.

My Father lives in a detached house built in Southampton in the mid 1930's. It was clearly a "cut above" in its day, with lovely knot-free Parana pine flooring.  Three of the rooms had bell pushes, which triggered a bell and indicator system in the kitchen, presumably so you could summon the day maid when you wanted afternoon tea. The house included the latest "must have", a garage at the side, with a nice pair of glazed wooden doors.

When we moved there in 1967, Father tried parking his Vauxhall Victor in this garage.  It just fitted, but was so narrow he couldn't open the door enough to actually get out !  Must have been designed with an Austin Seven in mind.
Not a particularly accurate work of art this one, but wonderful all the same.

If there had been television and fast food in the 1920’s the Austin Seven would have been the size of a 20! I for one am a big sunroof fan and use it all the time.

Like Mike our sunshine roof is open except in rain, they do have their uses.
I have a reflex action on entering my RP. Right hand shuts door, left hand opens sunroof!
I would have expected Austin's to vet the picture first and get the artist to park the starting handle correctly.
(11-07-2020, 09:57 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I would have expected Austin's to vet the picture first and get the artist to park the starting handle correctly.
I'll bet that the guys in the publicity department - or more likely the advertisng agency - knew nothing about Sevens; they would all have been driving the 1930s equivalent of a SAAB - whatever that was. I wonder what was the SAAB of the 1930s, in a social sense?