The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ransome and Marles
Why did Longbridge use bespoke angular contact bearings at the front of the crankshaft and the rear of the pinion?
The crankshaft bearings, 2 MJT 1 1/8 have 1/32" ( 0.0312")narrower outer races compared with the standard MJT 1 1/8.
The pinion bearings, 8 LJT 1 have 0.030" narrower outer races compared with standard LJT 1.

What is the code for the prefix number? Google has failed to find any reference!
Were they bespoke at the time? Ensures assembled the correct way round. Well, usually!
(07-07-2020, 10:31 PM)Henry Harris Wrote: Why did Longbridge use bespoke angular contact bearings at the front of the crankshaft and the rear of the pinion?
The crankshaft bearings, 2 MJT 1 1/8 have 1/32" ( 0.0312")narrower outer races compared with the standard MJT 1 1/8.
The pinion bearings, 8 LJT 1 have 0.030" narrower outer races compared with standard LJT 1.

What is the code for the prefix number? Google has failed to find any reference!

SKF also supplied these bearings as probably did Hoffman .

R & M 2 MJT 1 1/8  is SKF AMS 9 Special (would have had a number but so far I haven't found it - no mind this bearing probably hasn't been available for around 80 years ).

R & M  8 LJT 1 (I have it as 3 LJT 1) is SKF W 6898 or ALS 8 Special.

I believe the early differential crown wheel carrier angular contact side bearings also had narrow outer rings - R & M LJT 1 1/4 Special , SKF W 6356 or ALS 10 Special.

I have not discovered any reason for Austin Motor Company requiring these non standard bearings or the tapered bore early wheel bearings R & M TLJ 1 1/4 , SKF ETLS 10 or RLS 10 K. ( K for Kone !)

Another one of Herbert's brain waves ?  Big Grin

Been pondering this question myself in recent days and would love to hear a convincing answer.
Yes, may have been a contemporary standard.
Presumably not for (engine) packaging reasons as the earlier front bearings were full width (1 5/8").
(08-07-2020, 12:20 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Been pondering this question myself in recent days and would love to hear a convincing answer.
Yes, may have been a contemporary standard.
Presumably not for (engine) packaging reasons as the earlier front bearings were full width (1 5/8").

I haven't researched but I am not sure that other auto builders required these 'narrow outer ring ' bearings.

Although WO Bentley used some very special double row bearings in the the differentials of his cars  Big Grin