The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thin flat 2nd. files with a cutting edge/side?
Can anyone give me a link to something 2.7mm thick or thereabouts which has a file edge to it, please?
I have some 6 inch-ish chainsaw files which are perfect but they have no edge - they are smooth there.

Trying to file out a flat bottom to a 3mm wide indent in aluminium - any other simple ideas welcomed.
Don't some flat needle files have a file edge on the thin edge?
yup, but when you have two hacksaw cuts to deal with 2mm apart, I need something that has a levelling quality to it - i.e. more of the hole width. My needle files are very thin and just fall into the hacksaw cuts rather than filing the ridge down!
Hi Jon,
Pointy triangular job out of this should do it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00439E2MQ/r...bFb3PJM20Y

PS sent before reading last two responses.

PPS Thinking about this further, I'd wrap a hacksaw blade in emery paper to get the required width.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap-Sec...ooghydr-21 ?
ah brilliant, thankyou all! Was just thinking, some needle square files might also have more useable end.
I doubt if I am the only one looking at the wide range of suitable needle files in the workshop, and thinking, now where and when did I get any of that lot?
Last time I needed to do something like that I used a machine hacksaw blade, I ground the set flat so that I had the correct thickness, then wound gaffer tape to make a handle. I found that pulling was more effective than pushing the blade. Best of luck
A piece of suitable flat metal or plastic with some wet and dry paper wrapped around it? In the past I just folded the paper into a U shape with the metal in the bottom of the U to stiffen it and give me the flat sides and bottom to sand against. For plastic modelling I use ice block sticks with the sandpaper glued to them.

Simon
THanks. Using all the above, I think I can use the existing soft edge flat file wrapped, and that should give me nice 90 degree corners. I've ordered some more needle files though so I have a selection.