The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP Dynamo/cut out
Good afternoon. Can anyone advise me of what model dynamo and cut out were fitted to the 1934 RP?

Also is there any significance to the inverted Y in a circle stamped onto some dynamos?

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire.

Stuart
The dynamo normally fitted at that date is the C35A rated at 9 amps. This will not show at the ammeter because the ignition current reduces the display figure whenever the engine is running. It is sensible to set the third brush so that the displayed amount does not exceed 7 amps. Sorry I am not sure which cutout unit is appropriate to 1934.
Stuart,
1933/34 RPs had C35A dynamo with CFR cutout.
Many thanks for the prompt replies. I am assisting someone who has rescued a late RP body and I have been able to provide a chassis and now trying to locate the other parts he needs.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Insisting on the correct dynamo seems mighty pedantic. The later and previous interchangeable, although the 4 pole just might still have an intact internal resistor. The ramifications very well covered in the Cornwal site publication A Charging Refresher
Great to hear a late box saloon is being saved!
Good morning/afternoon Mr. Culver. I've been accused of some things but "mighty pedantic" is a first !

When starting out on a journey, in this case the restoration of an RP, it is essential to know your starting point. Hence the request for the dynamo/cutout as I would hate to supply anyone with incorrect components. The chassis of this car was used to create another 'neverwasa' Ulster about which I could be really pedantic.

Perhaps I am becoming too thin skinned in my dotage (I've owned and been involved with A7's since 1964) so perhaps the time has come to take my bat and ball home, pull up the drawbridge and retreat into my man-cave.

Stuart
Hi All

I have an RK which I think is pretty much as it left the factory apart from its colour and upholstery. I have been “pedantic” in its restoration, seeking out all original components.

This has rubbed off on my 1929 special build although I’m probably less worried about detail. (says he who is just restoring Girling front brakes for it  Smile ).

In my view pedantry is no bad thing!

Cheers

Howard
Hi Stuart 

The way it was worded it could be read as the owner insisting on the precise dynamo. My late RP has sported all three at various times but all with the cutout firewall mounted as original.  Very few casual observers would spot,  especially as so many cars now soon sport SUs, later heads, fancy distributors and other distractions. Where a choice available by all means adopt the original. From this distance I do not know your circumsatnces but most find it difficult to source any good dynamo without limiting the choice unnecesarily.
( I was running my car prior 1964 and was fetched from the maternity home in it some time before!)
Stuart, please carry on what you are doing and doing very well!