The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stripped Thread - Best Solution?
One of the tapped holes in the top of the crankcase "bell housing" where the starter motor housing bolts has stripped.

Approximately 6mm of thread has stripped as a result of using too short bolts but this still leaves around 9mm of good full thread plus a further 5mm of thread on one side only where the tapped hole runs into the curved section where the flywheel runs.

I am wondering whether it's best to drill out the thread and fit a helicoil but, as standard, they are 1.5 x Diameter long so this would give me around 12mm of good thread.   Alternatively I did wonder about just using longer bolts which would be engaged with the 9mm of remaining good thread plus gain some additional strength from the partial thread below that.

I think I'm talking myself into the helicoil option but wondered what others thought.

I'm not very keen to add additional fixing holes either side of the existing as I have seen suggested elsewhere.

John.
John a helicoil is a stronger thread than the original if you need a longer thread use a 2D helicoil Terry.
Helicoils are great don't hesitate.
I must say if there's enough good thread remaining I wouldn't generally be in a rush to fix it.

In this application though I guess it's seeing some load, and I heartily concur with Terry & Nick, a (properly installed) helicoil will be stronger than the original thread.

An alternative would be to tap it oversize, screw (& Loctite) in an alloy or perhaps brass plug, and start again. OK if you have lots of meat around the hole, maybe not in this case. A helicoil would be easier and stronger.
Helicoil has worked for me in this location. As Terry says, stronger than the original aluminium and this is something that takes a load from the starter motor when it's operated.

Steve
Yes. helicoil every time!
5/16 UNC Timesert. I suggest UNC as unfortunately you cannot get imperial Timeserts, but they are brilliant thread repair inserts imho better than helicoils.
Or make your own insert from a 7/16 BSF bolt
"An alternative would be to tap it oversize, screw (& Loctite) in an alloy or perhaps brass plug, and start again. OK if you have lots of meat around the hole, maybe not in this case. A helicoil would be easier and stronger. "

This is what I did some years back on some my BSA C15 crankcase threads and they are holiding up perfectly. It is a good alternative to helicoils if there is not much load.

Jamie.
I would try the longer bolt fix to start with. Very simple and no harm done if it doesn't work.
BSF tread repairs are readily available.
Jim
Re Gene's recommendation of TimeSerts, they do sell "British" 1/4 BSF (1/4 - 26) in the US, although not other sizes. I've never used them but I could see these making a smart job for manifold studs.
http://www.timesert.com/html/inchsert.html