The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear axle oil change.
I have just refilled the rear axle. I have used Millers Classic EP 140 GL4 which states it is ok to use with bronze and brass. So far so good! However 7/8 pint does not come up to the, what I assumed, is the oil level/refill plug. Is this correct please? I cannot find reference to this in any of the forums.

With reference to the forums......as a new seven owner since March this year, the information they contain is incredible and has increased the pleasure of running a “seven” no end.
Brian Rosevear
Hi Brian,

Personally I fill till the oil starts coming back out of the filler hole, then wait for it to stop and put the plug back in.

Some advise putting less oil in, to avoid migration of oil to the brakes, I can only say I don't have that problem.

If you have 7/8 pint in there I'm sure it will be fine, at least from a lubrication viewpoint.
I fill the rear axle up to the level of the filler.   When I come to check the oil level, usually once a year (only about 1500 miles as a rule), oil always flows out of the filler plug when I remove it.   Strange things these Austin 7's!
Brian, it's important that the rear axle is hanging downwards with no weight on the rear springs when you do this, otherwise you might end up putting too much in which can then find its way to the brakes. Jack the car up on the rear crossmember so both rear wheels are clear of the ground. It helps if you stand the oil in a pan of hot water before you fill the diff. I use a large 100ml syringe to inject the oil. It helps if you rotate the diff a little so the syring goes right into the middle of the workings. Once the oil comes up to the level plug, let it drip overnight before replacing the plug. I'm sure that I only put in about 2/3rds of a pint in my 33 axle.
Wasn't the old advice to add 1lb of grease as well ??
bob46320 Wrote:Wasn't the old advice to add 1lb of grease as well ??
Vintage (pre 1929) models used grease/oil, 50/50 mix. The spec then changed to JABA (Johnson's Austin Back Axle) oil. Modern equivalent is 140HD.
Well done Brian. 
The oils you have used is exactly the very best possible spec for the least wear and you have done your research it will not compromise any brass or bronze.
Absolutely brilliant.....thank you all very much.

Now can I ask you all a question which you may not want to own up to answering!!

The axle oil is weeping out of approximately 1/4 of the circumference of the gasket on one side only of the central caseing. Short of removing and dismantling the axle I am wondering if anyone has a bodge (sorry “solution”) albeit temporary, they could own up to.

My primitive thought is to thoroughly clean the area, after emptying the oil, and apply a liberal fairly thick coat of sikaflex. Having been boating for most of my life this product has saved my bacon on more than one occasion!

Your thoughts would be appreciated since I don’t want to continue leaving a calling card whenever I stop at friends.

Brian.
Brian Rosevear
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Oil-Abs...B00IFEC6T6

Won't fix the leak, but may retain a few friendships.
Clean thoroughly with White Spirit dry with a clean cloth until it wipes clean.Apply Leak Fix {LSX}.This is a bodge but it works.
Andy