The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Cornwall
Hello fellow Austin Seven lovers.
Just a quick introduction after joining the site, I'm based in Cornwall where I know there is a good following and under normal circumstances an active social life within the owners club.
I have a background in performance cars working for both Porsche and BMW so although I have a large knowledge of modern 60's onwards cars I'm a little less up to speed with pre war stuff..
I'm hoping to restore a Seven from the ground up, my thoughts at present are along the lines of a single seat race replica, possibly not to everyone's tastes, but as I've a number of sensible cars to drive I want something different. 
Any input more than welcome, ideas, thoughts etc.
Chris.
You've got a fabulous Seven website down in Cornwall and no doubt a few good knowledgeable folk behind those high hedge banks - make contact locally through the club as they may not all be the same people as on 'ere. With a club, you also get the Association magazine as well as the regional one. for not a lot of money.
Have you got a V5C for your pile of bits? That has been a recent 'point of interest' for those veering away from standard builds.
Thanks for the reply..
Sadly no current registration, but old buff one, and after looking into registration (which may be a while away if build time is a little extended) I'm sure there shouldn't be too much of an issue to comply with the DVLA ....I've had dealings with them in the past and police vehicle examiners reregistering stolen/recovered cars. I know that many clubs are part of the scheme to verify old cars and cant see any issues unless the change of body style will cause one? 
Luckily I've access to all the equipment probably needed to rebuild the car, and have some favours to be called on if I need any help...
I've had the car/boxes of bits for a number of years (mainly in storage or forgotten about lol) having got it through the purchase of a commercial property and being told by the seller there's a scrap old Austin in bits they couldn't be bothered to remove......
As you may understand the Vintage Austin Seven design is quite different to Porsche and BMW (even if the original BMW was an Austin Seven )

I suggest get some books on the Austin Seven before starting including the indispensable 'The Austin Seven Manual' by Woodrow- still readily available. 

As suggested, if you can with the current problems, join the local Club.
Hi Chris,
Not wishing to teach grandmother to suck eggs but You vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

Part Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1

Otherwise you are heading for type approval and a Q plate!

Either way, it’s always great to see another Seven up and running, so good luck with the build, no doubt you’ll do a “proper job”!
Hi Chris.
I personally have recently joined the Cornwall Club. In normal times it is very active. We are friendly helpful folk and there is a lot of “seven” knowledge within the club, as I have been finding out!

The membership secretary is Andrew Jarman........jarmins@btopenworld.com

Hope to meet you before long,
Brian Rosevear.
Brian Rosevear